Regulator Orientation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaloui

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I have "lurked" here on the board for awhile but never posted. I've learned a lot from the other posters and would like a little direction/advice on setting up my new reg. Newbie here, so pardon the stupid questions.

My reg is an Atomic B2. I know the basics of attaching regs to the tank valve, but the B2 has an additional swivel on the first stage that makes proper orientation rather confusing. Just wanna make sure I'm attaching it to the tank correctly. Does anyone have any advice on this -or even better - pics of this set up?

This is how I've done mine - I can post pictures later if this isn't clear. LMK

To start with, I like the body of the regulator down and in. The first stage doesn't care and it's more protected between the tank and my BC. I do a lot of boat diving so the knob makes a good place to loop the bungie cord during transit.

So holding it by the yolk knob with the 1st stage body down and away from you:

The left port on top is my SPG hose. I clip it off on my left side.

Line up the "first" lp port to the left below it. There's a bigger gap between the ports in one area on the swivel - the one to the left of it is what I'm calling first.

Still holding the reg by the yoke knob.

The next one from the left is empty.
The third is my octo - it faces slightly back but has a longer hose.
The fourth (first from the right) is my primary second.

I generally run the octo down my right side and under my arm. The primary comes over my right shoulder from the top.

I don't use the "bottom" port at all.

Although with the swivel I'm not sure there is a wrong way...

This info is very helpful, thankyou! If you don't mind posting a pic that would be great. I just want to be sure, and being able to actually see it really helps.

pictures:

Attachments

• reg1.jpg
    reg1.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 693
  • reg2.jpg
    reg2.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 543
Like DiverSteve, I mount my reg with the body of the first stage turned down from the yoke, so I'm less likely to hit my head on it when looking up. A "swivel" first stage allows you to try both orientations and decide which works better for you. Check in the water or pool that you can do a reach retrieval with your configuration, and adjust your tank height versus the BC if necessary.

Hope this helps,
Bryan

Regarding the gap between the 4 LP ports. If you notice there are two ports then a gap, then two more ports then a slightly larger gap. I have found that if I arrange the hoses so that the larger gap faces the tank and the smaller towards my head that the hoses are oriented slightly better in that they point "away" from the cylinder and towards me. It reduces the strain on the hoses a bit.

Also as I have my backup 2nd stage (octo) on a bungie and my primary on a long hose I have the backup on the right side lp port that is near my head while the primary on the lp port nearest the cylinder. The LP inflator hose is on the left side port near my head and dry suit inflator on the LP port nearest the cylinder. All orientation is looking top down.

Hi,

I have "lurked" here on the board for awhile but never posted. I've learned a lot from the other posters and would like a little direction/advice on setting up my new reg. Newbie here, so pardon the stupid questions.

My reg is an Atomic B2. I know the basics of attaching regs to the tank valve, but the B2 has an additional swivel on the first stage that makes proper orientation rather confusing. Just wanna make sure I'm attaching it to the tank correctly. Does anyone have any advice on this -or even better - pics of this set up?

I think it's a personal preference. I have my turret down, but I've seen experienced divers with turret up. And when I asked the Atomic people at the scuba show, the design intended for the turret to be up, even though most prefer the opposite.

Adam

I think it's a personal preference. I have my turret down, but I've seen experienced divers with turret up. And when I asked the Atomic people at the scuba show, the design intended for the turret to be up, even though most prefer the opposite.

Adam

Atomic really said that ? Interesting....once you actually see with your own eyes how logical is looks to mount the reg 'turret down', you will likely feel pretty silly mounting it 'turret up'....it screams 'I'm a complete newbie diver!' :)

No, just the people at the show :idk:

...so, the 'real' Atomic employees back at the factory/headquarters are the only ones that really know what they're talking about, but the flunkies they send to the show to represent them in public are clueless ? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom