mares abyss mr22T 2010 small review with pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Djonah Inc.

Registered
Reaction score
Okay guys,

After reading a lot here, and having had problems with seeing the forest thru this bushy forum (there is just so much to read!!)...I took the plunge and have got myself a mares abyss mr22 (for doubles).
I used it once (shallow water) and I must say: It breaths like a dream!

What I bought:
- 2 x mares abyss mr22T in DIN form. Why DIN while INT is pretty much standard here in Belgium if you dive recreationally? Well, now I'm totally moddable (just get yourself a DIN-INT connector)
- I swapped the standard hose for a 210cm longhose
- (I paid € 450 for the (brand-new) set including the longhose and I got a regulator bag for free (± 650 $), I know that's just dirt cheap :crafty: :eyebrow: )

Why I bought the expensive 'octo':
- well, I want a good air-source in good situations, so it would be nuts to get a lesser regulator for stressy situations, no?
- If I want a good regulator for myself while I'm not stresses or in panic, my buddy would want a better regulator or as good as the one I have.

Why I went for mares:
- the KISS attitude is something that appeals to me. Just think about this: what would be easier to break: a solid block of wood or a box made of plywood...
- KISS construction makes it possible to have a very small save-a-dive-kit
- you're able to maintain the reg without too much effort and materials

Looks:
-I like them, but this is totally personal

Weight:
- 1st: pretty hefty first stage (you could knock someone KO with it :dork2: but I bet you can do that with every 1st). This 1st is small so maybe it feels heavier because of the smaller size. On a scale, the weight is pretty much the same as every other 1st.
- 2nd: I didn't think It was heavy in the water, but time will tell (read long multiple dives a day) how heavy my jaw thinks the 2nd is.

Breathing:
- I don't have the feeling that I have to do anything, it's like lying in your bed and sipping air while you're counting sheep...
- nothing more to say than it's just like you're not in the water

What I don't like:
-the 1/2 dfc port on the first stage. This is just a PITA IMHO
It makes finding a longhose that fits a quest. That could be nice...but I opted to go the 3/8-1/2 adapter way. I plan to change all DFC 1/2 ports into 3/8 when the miflex hoses start to go bad. (I don't get mares for not changing everything in 3/8 like on the mr42)

Conclusion:
- a deep dive is needed to know the characteristics down there, but I feel that I'm in for a treat...
- time will tell if jaw fatigue is present with the standard mouthpiece
- time will tell how bulletproof this thing is to abuse (my guess, pretty bulletproof as a complete metal reg)
- time will tell how well the reg handles when not new (but history tells us that this will be no problem)
- time will tell how easy it is to service the reg and get the best breathing characteristics out of the reg

jbp0128_2-e1300644760747.jpg

jbp0144_2-e1300963367382.jpg

jbp0135_2-e1300963421680.jpg

jbp0163_2-e1300963504678.jpg

I have the 2005 model and the older model as octopus.
I needed to change the mouthpiece to a scubapro but else it is great it breath at 47 meter the same as in shallow, just it is a bit difficult to adjust. You need a good shop.

Great regs but a pain for doubles.
Left post works fine but right is a pain......if you want your long hose to point down.

Great regs but a pain for doubles.
Left post works fine but right is a pain......if you want your long hose to point down.

Why would that be? Just dont fasten the right first stage straight.
I saw pictures with doubles and the mr22 (site is down so the pics are gone) where the hoserouting wasn't more of a problem than with other first stages. You just have to think a bit out of the box...

Last edited:
Djonah Inc.,

Nice regs. You got the "light" (cut down) version of the MR22. The older ones are more "hefty" :wink:

I'm very happy with my MR22's. They are easy to service. To get the best performance, you need a technician who will take a little extra time to tune the Abyss 2nd stage, and not just blindly follow the repair manual. Strictly following the manual will generally produce an "ok" result (stable, but only "average" breathing performance), but not the "exceptional" result that can be attained if the tech spends a little extra time "fine tuning".

Tuning a 2-adjustment "classic downstream" 2nd like the Abyss properly takes a little more effort than the single-adjustment barrel poppet 2nd stage designs that are more common today.

The Abyss has lever height and orifice depth adjustments, and these two adjustments "interact" (if you change the orifice depth, the lever height changes as well, and needs to be re-adjusted); and also effect the spring tension.

A good tech will balance these opposing forces to get the best performance possible.... a sloppy tech may not take the necessary time.

Best wishes.

Why a 1/2 port?

What I don't like:
-the 1/2 dfc port on the first stage. This is just a PITA IMHO
It makes finding a longhose that fits a quest. That could be nice...but I opted to go the 3/8-1/2 adapter way. I plan to change all DFC 1/2 ports into 3/8 when the miflex hoses start to go bad. (I don't get mares for not changing everything in 3/8 like on the mr42)

Here's a quote from an article by Mark Ellyatt

Mark held the record for deepest open circuit SCUBA dive at 313m using the abyss. The record has since been broken.

Any engineer familiar with high pressure gas delivery will advise keeping the connecting hoses between stages as big “internally” as possible. Most high performance regulators use ½ inch diameter fittings on the primary hose. Typical (low) performance equipment uses 3/8 inch hose fittings, this smaller size has the negative effect of causing intermediate pressure drop, which makes the regulator lose smoothness or stutter and dramatically increases breathing resistance, causing carbon dioxide build up with the ensuing head aches or even blackout. The divers primary (½ inch port) regulator should be donated to the stressed out diver, to keep the air sharing process as comfortable and smooth as possible

I'd keep the bigger hose. It might be a pain in the a** but it's there for a reason.

Here's a link to the article. deep diving regulators

Mark Ellyatt is a fairly controversial figure in the diving world; and the statement quoted regarding 1/2" versus 3/8" is a good example.

I dive the MR-22 Abyss, and while I love this regulator, I feel that for all practical purposes the 1/2" vs 3/8" hose debate is theoretical rather than practical. As a recreational diver, you are HIGHLY unlikely to be able to detect any difference. For my long hose, I've gone to 3/8" inch with an adapter so it can be used on the DFC port.

My feeling is that by the time the extra hose diameter will be noticeable (great depth), you will be forced to use Helium, which is less dense.... negating the advantage of the 1/2" hose.

So.... use either 3/8 or 1/2", but don't feel you must use a 1/2" hose with your MR-22.

Best wishes.

i am in the process of putting together a second set of regs. one a mr42 first with the 3/8 dfc port and the second a v32 with the 1/2 dfc port both will be carbon primary with superflex hoses. i bet they breath the same! atleast i hope they do..
i just wonder if i should keep the v32 as a SCS or change it to the tri material valve?
anybody got exprence with both?

- 1st: pretty hefty first stage (you could knock someone KO with it but I bet you can do that with every 1st). This 1st is small so maybe it feels heavier because of the smaller size. On a scale, the weight is pretty much the same as every other 1st.

I have mares MR32TT and I have APEKS TEC3 set ( single TEC3 is heavier ) , but record holds old ABYSS 22
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well MR32TT have 1/2'' , APEKS FSR 1/2'' , TEC3 3/8 ..... important is mass flow
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think best jaws are from aqualung/apeks comfort (even is from DIR not recomended (i have heard )because of possibility of bring up by irritation the sky in the mouth )

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
c5diver :

you shuld choose MR series because of different shape of main valve .V serises SCS have conic shape of valve and they have problems with sealing it . MR series have flat surface. V series dissapear very quietly from stories and support is bit risky ( I have V16 SCS Ti CWD and I swiched it for MR 32TT with CWD)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom