New Regs! Top Line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

goldenwingk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Okay so i have a diving friend whos behind on market...so am i. I remember back in the day some of the top reg brands were ScubaPro, Apeks, Mares. that was several years ago.

Right now i am wondering what are some top of the line regs 1st and 2nd stage. regs that are good for ice/cold/dirty/tropical/warm water/deep. i own a ScubaPro Mk17/G250v. what is classified as really good these days.

please help, thanks :)

ummm... i think that you have covered the majority of the top reg brands... but there are some new ones as well. and also, consider the range of conditions that you might be using them in.

care to shed a little more light on exactly what conditions you might be diving in? a recreational tropical setup might not cut it in a deep cold water environment...

Atomic Aquatics, Poseidon...

This reviews is a bit dated, but it shows what you should be looking for.

15 Regulators on test - Divernet

The articles sets out how the regulators performed up to a depth of 50m/164', namely in how easy they breathed at that depth, according to the ANSTI test.
Ansti Test Systems Ltd

If memory serves Apeks and Aqualung are pretty much the top runners nowadays, having pushed Poseidon into the 3rd position.

I think what you've got (Scubapro MK17/G250V) is considered excellent.

I'd say that most of the stuff on the reg market from the major manufacturers is "really good."

Any particular reason why you are asking?
Are you or your friend in the market to buy a reg?
If you're trying to figure out whether you should upgrade your reg, don't do it. Stick with what you've got.

I agree with Bubbletrubble. The MK17 is a great coldwater 1st and the G250v is the best 2nd scubapro has ever made. This setup will cover you in every situation you mentioned. The only thing the MK17 will not do is O2 work such as a high O2 stage bottle. That job is reserved for the Mk2 and MK25. I have all 3 and dive the Mk17 90% of the time. As far as other regulators the HOG D1 Coldwater is sealed, can handle up to 100% O2, has a swivel LP turret and a 5th port for better hose routing on doubles. If your friend wants a new regulator I highly suggest taking a look at the HOG D1 coldwater for what you mentioned. The price is right. I ordered my at Dive Right In Scuba. Great Service.

You have one of the best. Stick with it.

What I always say........performance at reasonable cost, Apeks DS4/XTX50.

I dive Atomic M1's, if I wasn't using those then I would dive the ScubaPro MK17/G250 or Halcyon H-50d/Halo (same as SP)!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom