Integrated Octo or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tpsde2003

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ok so here we go. New Diver going with a BP/W (don't try to talk me out of it) seriously considering the HOG D-1 reg & need input on the Octo. I really think the way to go is with an integrated Octo. I also like the idea of the longer reg hose run under the arm with an elbow on the second stage "Tech Style" It seems to make great sense. I really don't care what people call it. No I'm not a "tech diver" at least not yet. I'll probably dive mostly in the warm Carribean waters & hopefully the South Pacific some day. I'm simply looking for the simple versatility & ease of transport that this type of system seems to provide. I know everyone likes what they are used to. I'm not used to anything yet, why get used to a conventional rig & then try to change later. I'll mostly dive with my family members & one friend who's an old Navy EOD who really hasn't done much diving since backpacks & horse collars. I'll be setting up 2 outfits One for me & one for my wife/kids. Every ones opinion will be appreciated. So far it's 2 to 1 at lds in favor of the Integrated Octo.

Thanks in advance

What is an integrated octo? Air2? How does that work with a BP/W?

Air2 is Scubapro's brand name for an integrated Octo. An integrated Octo combines the BCD air inflator & a second stage reg for use as an alternative air source. If the term Integrated Octo isn't the correct term I apologize. So far most people have understood. I've included a link below to Scubapro's webpage for the Air2. Many others make a similar product.

AIR2 - SCUBAPRO-UWATEC

The folks at your LDS are 2-to-1 in favor of the AIR2 (or similar) because they sell it.

Get another HOG second stage for your backup/octo. It will simplify reg servicing because your entire reg setup will be the same brand. The second stages also use standard hose connections. This gives you more flexibility if you are on a trip somewhere and your backup/octo hose fails. The simple solution is just to replace the hose (which any shop will have).

FYI, the AIR2 (and similar integrate power inflater/octo combos) will often use a special hose fitting. Also, the corrugated hose is not very long on some wings (DSS and Halcyon, just to name a couple). You might have problems turning your head to the right if you're breathing on the inflater/octo combo attached to a shorter corrugated hose.

I'd recommend putting your primary reg on a 5-ft. hose and your necklaced backup reg on a 22-inch or 24-inch hose. For air-sharing, you would donate your primary to the OOA diver and then go onto your necklaced backup.

FWIW, I'm not a tech diver. I'm just an average OW recreational diver, and this is how I have my reg set up.

I considered getting an AIR2 but my instructor talked me out of it. If your buddy is out of air and you need to buddy breath, then surface, consider:
* Your buddy takes your primary
* You take the backup
* You're trying to breath and manage your boyancy control at the same time through the same instrument, at the same time as you're holding onto your buddy in a stressful situation.

I like the idea of loosing a hose (I dive with a wireless computer), but when you're in an emergency you want to keep it as simple as possible.

Thanks some great points there. If I can't turn me head right I'll probably swim in circles to the left. The redundancy of the second stage reg on trips really makes good sense. Thats why I posted here.

I've used an AIR II for right at 20 years now and have never had an issue with it. When we took our initial class there was no problem at all doing the buddy breath. A number of folks on SB that use a BP/W or any BC for that matter use them and love them like myself. You will read where folks will claim they are dangerous and all that crap but they are as safe as any other system you can use.

Your LDS will sell you any system you want so don't buy the line that they are trying to encourage you to buy it because they sell it and there is some devious motive to what they are doing. Chances are the two folks from your LDS that said buy one did so because they use one and like it.

I've yet to see a VALID argument against using the AIR II or any similar system.

Without a long explanation, I vote "NO" on the integrated octo or Air2 or whatever.

:idk: you asked for opinions.

I'm not a fan of the integrated second air source. Incidentally, there are probably hundreds of posts on the subject right here on Scubaboard.

In short, and I know there will be a great discussion on this, but they are difficult to manage in a true OOA emergency.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom