ScubaPro G250 Graphite - How old?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raftingtigger

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a SP G250 Graphite 2nd and want to ID its age. The 'flow vane' selector is about 1/16" high and the exhaust tee has 'scubapro' molded onto the outside. Don't see any serial numbers. Diaphram and purge valve writing are the standard cobalt blue. Adjustment knob is silver colored and appears to be metal. There is a metal pin (almost like 3/4 of a 'D' ring preventing opening the adj knob too far.

Anyone know how to date it? Pre 1995 or Post 1995?

Thanks

Thanks, I already have. The paragraph was confusing but I understood that the G250g was continued later. Or was it just the G250? If it is pre-1995 do you know if it can be 'upgraded' to use the newer service kit? The service kit for the pre-1995 G250 is hard to find. Ours has a small (tiny really) leak from the downstream valve and needs to be serviced.

I've found that doing my homework first helps prevents the 'we can't get the parts for that old..., you need a new one" from the LDS.

There's a current standard service kit for the G250V/S600 that includes a seat and a bunch of o-rings. If you can find a slightly older kit, (ebay or a low-volume dealer) it will include fewer o-rings (you don't need all the extra ones anyways) and a poppet and balance chamber. More likely, you'll need to buy the poppet and balance chamber separately. I would also recommend getting a new spring (probably $5 max) and a new lever. The lever you have might work fine, but there are a few instances in which the old lever and the new poppet don't work well together. In my humble experience, replacing the spring has helped getting the regs to hold a tune more precisely. The springs probably wear out a little and lose some elasticity. It's nothing you can see, I just found that a new spring helps me tune it better.

I've never heard of a kit for a "pre-1995 G250" but I guess what you mean is that yours has the old metal-stemmed poppet. If I had a reg like that I would not even buy a kit, I'd get the seat/poppet/spring/balance chamber/(maybe) lever from the dealer, and get the few o-rings you need from a source like o-rings usa. The seat is really the only part of the kit that you can't buy otherwise, and it's about $4 as opposed to (probably) $20 for the kit.

.. If it is pre-1995 do you know if it can be 'upgraded' to use the newer service kit?...

The short answer is "YES".

Scubapro has always been good in offering evolutionary designs: each new bit they come up with retrofits the older one.

So go over halocline's post above a couple of times to memorize the talking points, and if your LDS gives you the "'we can't get the parts ..." bit, find a better shop.

See also DA Aquamaster's post on parts compatibility between the G250 and the latest & greatest G250V.

Very helpful. Does anyone know where I can buy the "seat/poppet/spring/balance chamber/(maybe) lever"? I've put in a request with Vintage Double Hose. I'll try the dealer (LDS).

Ouch!
LDS is the only way I know.

But then maybe you don't need it; I have 2 Graphite's that have the single o-ring all plastic poppets that are pretty close to the current s-wing poppets. The only way to find out is to take it apart, at least remove the barrel and peep through the hole in the middle: if the stem is all white, you're good.

Edit: there was a guy on eBay UK who used to sell NOS kits. Worth a try.

Last edited:
Yeah, a pic would help.
These are the ones I'm talking about:

84447d1288478799-scubapro-2nd-stage-balanced-poppet-ba-poppets-s.jpg

Raft,

Why not contact DA Aquamaster or Bluewaterdiving here on SB; make arrangements to have one of them service and upgrade your G250 the way you want it. Then, each service after that is a simple set of o-rings and a seat. After the service and upgrade, if you take good care of it, it'll go a long time before it requires parts again.

Couv

Back
Top Bottom