Octo suggestion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keith A

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just made my purchase of my reg. Automic Z2. Now I need to pair it with an Octo. Does one need to break the bank for a solid Octo?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all so much,
:popcorn:

umm. yes and no. Tech protocols state that you shoudl have a high performance primary and backup second stage. Recreational generally calls for a low performance octo. Some advocate an Air2 as an octo if you're doing pure recreational stuff to keep hoses down. All depends on your preferences. Personally I dive with matching second stages, as you'll find most people here do. Makes life easier.

If it were me I wouldn't break the bank by any means. As a matter of fact, that may be an ideal situation to find a good used octo cheap. Or buy a new low end reg. from just about any major company. They should all be able to do the intended job of an octo. You should be able to get a new one that would do the job from $75 to $125.

I'd get same brand but lower-end (cheaper) for ease of servicing. Sadly, "cheaper" does not apply to Atomics. :D

It doesn't make a great deal of difference. A used SP R190 will fit the bill just fine, and anyone can service it. The "kit" consists of a nylock nut, one standard size o-ring, and a puck seat.

I would agree with halocline. A SP R190 is great and I would not call it low end by any means and they can be picked up used for under $80 all day long. I like having a higher end second because I donate my primary and do not want to be breathing on a low performance regulator. My suggestion is the HOG D1 which is an adjustable 2nd for around $100. You can adjust it to prevent free flow and if you need it just turn the know to breath easier.

Jujst ask your self this question...
Which reg is my OOG buddy going for when he needs one :D

I can prommise you, he/she goes for the one he/she sees working

I personally have a M1/Z2 as my primary and as my secondary. Why? because as several others have said when Davy Jones comes a calling I and my buddy want a reg that is as good as my primary.

My suggestion is to find a used Z1 second stage and use it as an octo. You can always cosmetically upgrade it later to a Z2 but they will breath the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom