Connecting Octopus and computer to reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidCarleton

Registered
Reaction score
I was recently certified (and addicted) and after much research I found I could save over 1,000 on my gear package (2 regs, 2 computers, 2 BCD) by purchasing on-line.

How difficult is it to connect my octopus, computer, and BCD to the first stage and how can I be certain that I have made the connections correctly.

Any input would be greatly aprreciated.

I see by your number that you are stranger...hmm, that sounds like an old western song! NetDoc, here is another chance!

Welcome, Dave, to a great place to get information, solace, and other scuba-related stuff.

Now, about your question...

If you can read and use an open end wrench you can attach your octo and your reg to your first stage. Ditto the pressure guage. But I am not certain that the computer falls into that category.

If it is air integrated, I have no experience and will let someone else jump in. If it is not, it just pops into your consol. If it is the latter type, I suggest you get a "face protector" for it. Face protectors are over-priced pieces of plastic that fit over the computer face and protect it from scratches. I have made my own, but they are not as cleverly convex as the commercial product. And you really should have a drill press to make it a "sanitary" project.

Testing is easy...get a tank and try it out! You can do it other ways, but a tank is probably easiest.

Finally, you have touched a sensative nerve amongst folks here...online vs. LDS (local dive shop) purchases...but I will let others handle that...

Joewr

Welcome to the Board!

If your computer is air intergrated (shows your tank pressure) thread it into a high pressure port. An Allen wrench will loosen the threaded caps in the ports and the high pressure one(s) are usually marked with an 'H'. Twist it slowly so as not to kink the o-ring and tighten it just a bit more than hand tight with an open end wrench the correct size for the fitting.

Joewr is right about the face protector for your computer. Instead of paying a fortune for one from your LDS, look for a product called Tiger Skin. It's an adhesive clear sheet, about 5x6 in., that you cut to fit the shape you need. I have had it on my computer and watch for over 4 years and it's never needed replacing. Since you like buying stuff online, here's the link: http://www.tigergear.com/skininfo.shtml

Before you hop off and purchase your gear online, please go back and research some of the past threads discussing online purchase vs. the LDS.

When I am not very familiar with the gear that I am purchasing, especially when it falls into the category of life support equipment, I am more inclined to make the purchase at the local dive shop (LDS). Even when the "apparent" savings are as much as you state.

Here are some things to consider when you make your large purchase at the LDS (all of this has happened to me):
  1. Free setup, tuning, tweaking, and instruction on usage. The shop will make sure that the gear is ready to go when you come to pick it up. When I picked up my gear, we discovered a small problem which they fixed on the spot. The shop owner also made sure that I knew everything about my gear including how to set my computer before I left the shop.
  2. FREE fine tuning. After using my reg for a while, it needed a small adjustment, which they did quickly and at no charge
  3. FREE loaner when your gear requires repair. A couple of months after my purchase, my reg started freeflowing. I did all the things I knew to do to make it stop but couldn't. The timing on this was bad since I was about to leave on a dive trip and the tech had just left on his vacation. The shop owner happened to have the same reg setup as me, so we swapped computers and mouthpieces to his personal reg and he let me keep it until my rig was repaird.
  4. FREE air fills and the occasional free tank rental. I have also had the chance to borrow other gear that I was interested in at no charge (Volo Fins, u/w camera, etc)
  5. Discount on purchases Essentially my continued patronage has been rewarded with reduced prices when I do need to buy something
Essentially, what I am getting at is that in the past 7 months since I made my purchase, I have enjoyed about $300 to $500 worth of savings in the form of service, discounts and freebies. And this will continue as long as I patronize that shop. When you purchase online, you will save money upfront, but this savings might get eaten up quickly if there are problems on the backside.

So just as your took your time considering WHAT gear to buy, be sure to apply the same amount of consideration on WHERE.

What a darn good idea! Tiger Skin, huh? I will look for it and give it a whirl, but it does not sound nearly as macho as "you have to have a drill press...."

And, David, I told you that you would touch a sensative chord! Oh, yes, I was somewhat remiss in that I did not tell you that I bought my BC's from the LDS and had them set them up. However, I have added to the first stage myself when I made after market purchases--e.g., a quick disconnect for my HP line to my consol.

And, for the record, I agree with Mike on this issue...

Joewr...waiting for the next incoming...

Well, i think I am one of the people who go either way - but I agree with TexasMike and Joewr in general.

Here is some reasons:

1st - if you need to ask about assembling it - maybe it is not the best idea to jump into life support equipment - now if you had asked about say - a BC - different matter.

2nd - I find the relationship with my diveshop to be crucial, I dive a LOT as some members here can attest to and I am in the shop daily for gas and odds and ends - let me tell you, more than a couple of free airfills has slipped in and a couple of very friendly priced pieces of equipment as well. And when I neded to get a thing taken care of right now - the tech guy just grabbed it, fixed it and then told me there was no charge...

3rd - I would like to keep my LDS in business so I have somewhere to go shoot the breeze and look at new cool stuff as well as BBQ my dinner...

I know that the $1000 is tempting - trust me - we all do, but I think you really need to consider how often you will be back to that shop and for what - imagine that you somehow does not manage to get your gear together properly, now you are forced to take it to the shop, have them assemble is and then pay an arm and a leg for that service.

There is one more thing I would like to point out - if you are buying regulators - NONE of the companies I know of allow warranties for online sales - the only recourse you would have would be to return the item to the point of sale and wait for them to solve it for you...

I don't want to tell you what to do - I truly believe that we do what we need to - but think about it.

as far as putting things together - have a light touch when you tighten things down - very light, just get it snug that is all you need.

Now - as far as Dee goes - my next underwater art image will obviously have to be Dee in her Tigerskin suit... hmm - you did say that it adheres to smooth surfaces right? :wink:

Good luck,
Big T

LDS or no LDS...$1,000 is hard to walk away from......

I've bought gear both on-line and through the LDS. They do provide some value add on some items as mentioned by other folks, but at the same time you want to be able to buy the gear you want at prices you can afford.

My personal compromise is that when I was looking to buy a new computer and reg this year, I bought the reg from the LDS and the computer on-line (wrist-mount). I valued the input from the shop (and the assembly expertise) for the reg. I bought a bunch of non-standard size LP reg hoses on-line since I was setting up a DIR rig.....the shop manager gave me several tips on putting it together myself (the least he could do since I spent almost $800 for my reg set-up and DIN conversion kit.....I like to support my LDS, but this was a pretty high price for an Apeks TX-100, TX-40 octo, and DIN coverter kit.....must have included a surcharge for all that "free" advice....). For the computer -- the shop did not add any value since I already knew what I wanted and I saved about $200. When I buy another tank next spring -- I will likely buy from the LDS, since I am confident I will be able to negotiate free fills on this purchase.

My suggestion if you're going to order ALL the gear online is to find someone you trust (i.e., A diving friend who does not work for an LDS) to help you put it together -- preferably someone with MUCHO dive and gear maintenance experience.

BigT...I think you have me and ID mixed up! I didn't say anything about a Tiger Skin SUIT!

Since the skin is clear, I think ID would look mighty fine in one. But since it needs a slick surface to adhere properly, we'll need to shave him.

Anyone have a safety razor? :eek:

Sorry Dee,

I specifically have you in mind for that image - I know that ID prefers a pattern of sorts and that is obviously not an option here...
Just let me know when you have the suit ready and I will get my camera and 3 assistents ready to go - oh and the water here is still balmy 57 degreess - although it is dropping now...

Big T

Welcome to the board David. I too lean tward the LDS for most of my diving gear for all of the reasons mentioned above. As for the $1000, are you sure you are comparing the same gear or at least the same quality? There is a very big range in quality and performance of dive gear. Most dive shops give fairly big discounts if you buy package deals from them, you may find that the actual price is not that much different than the online price if you compair the same brands and styles. The bennies will usally make up the difference. Also, be aware that many manufactures DO NOT honor the warrenty of gear purchased on line and even if they do, the local shop may not be willing to handle the repair. Many things like lights and mask straps I get on line but anything that cost a lot or needs a good fit I purchase locally.......

DEE, ID in clear tiger skin....that's a scary image..

Back
Top Bottom