Opinion on Sherwood Maximus ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't find the Maximus to be a particularly great breathing regulator for a high end ex-top of the line model.
The under the arm hose idea was what I really liked most about it.
The NEW Sherwood regulators are a big improvement in my mind, and the under arm hose may return but I think it is a gone goose at this moment. The old design dry air bleed was problamatic.
I would rather have a new Brut than a the Maximus, if I were selecting a Sherwood. And the Magnum if I wanted an adjustable reg and couldn't afford the SR1. Or maybe I would buy a Brut and a SR1 octo and switch hoses. The SR1 is an incredable easy breathing regulator.

Wouldn't be too hard to find a rental unit and trying it before buying. Lots of LDS rent Sherwood even if they sell other brands. Sometimes LDS have different sets from different years. My LDS has old Sherwood, new Sherwoods and some new low-end ScubaPros.
So before buying I tried the newer Sherwood and ScubaPro. I like the ScubaPro and went with that.

Played by Russell Crowe? Great role, before Crowe got fat. What can you say? He was the prototypical reluctant hero, the perfect protagonist to oppose Joaquin Phoenix's character, Commodus.

While I have long been a fan of the older (pre SR-1) Sherwood regs' ruggedness, they are good, but not great breathers. The Maximus is no exception. It has an adjustable second stage, which makes it considerably more complicated, but it does not breath any easier than a well tuned Oasis or Blizzard. It is very expensive for what it is. There are far better breathing regs available in the Maximus's price range. Of course, Maximus owners will wax eloquent about how wonnnderful it is.

Last edited:
Well I have 2 of them and have had no problems - last 2 model ( latest and same but the Sherwood design on the purge). I've used them in both cold and warm water. I find the breathing easy since it's adjustable and have gotten use to the under arm hose. My buddy bought a new SR-1 and had tons of problems with it to the point i'd never get one. I know it might just be a lemon but since my Maximus's work trouble free those are what I use.

I give them that they are workhorse regs and they are THOUGH, but the downside is that they are hard to breathe from.
There's always a + and a -.

Diesel engines are workhorse and have less moving parts, so they break less often.
But you can't say that it performs as well in race cars than fuel-gas engines.

thanks for the reply's folks. i liked the thought of the underarm hose and the adjustable air but i think i'm going to stick with "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and continue with my old style ABYSS. thanks again.

Anyone tried the new Maximus regulator. I have a 20 year old one, it's never given me any problems and I dive mostly in cold water. I tried my wife's oasis and my daughters Hollis and they are very easy to breath from. I am thinking of upgrading to a new reg just wondering if the new Maximus is worth it.

It could be you just need a tune up on the Maximus, rather than a replacement. I like Sherwood regs and dive them, but I don't pay that kind of money for any reg, that's just me not a disparaging remark about the reg.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom