Mold in Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Makushr1

Registered
Reaction score
Morning all,

My brother was going to borrow my reg for his dive class this weekend. He took it in to get it checked out and the guy at the shop said there's mold in my reg. He wants $120 to clean it out. Am I able to do it myself and save my wallet? Does $120 seem a bit high?

thanks!

While I don't have any knowledge or advise for you. But, I would like to know, when was the last time you used it? Did you rinse it out after last dive? Did you put it up/away while still wet? Where did you store it?

I am sure it s not $120. to remove mold.Its can be about $120. to perform an annual service on the
1st/2nd stages and spg.Figure $60. labor and the rest on rebuild kits and shop supplies.Then tax, so $120. is a realistic number.Could be a bit less or more,but that is a close estimate.

As others have said I would like to think the $120 would be for a complete service.
"Mold" might be describing the organic stuff but chrome corrosion leaves a greenish deposit that could look like mold.

Take it apart, clean it the best you can. Put it back together (or not) and send it to ScubaToys or some other reputable shop for an annual service with an explanation.

I believe if you have the right tools you can do it yourself. Its not chemistry. but the $1,000,000 question is, what are the right tools?

The other issue to consider it manufacturer's warranty. Some brands' warranties may be invalidated if not serviced by a service tech trained/certified to work on that brand...ie, working on it yourself if you are not certified by the manufacturer.

If the reg sat long enough to grow mold, you are probably due for annual servicing regardless.

There could be a bit more work than just a straight service, so $120 is not totally out of line. I expect some brushing before & after the ultrasonic cleaning; if they were my regs, I'd spend half an hour to a hour "detailing" them.

Some regs are easier to DIY than others, but in any case, there'll be about a hundred bucks for tooling.

Get the reg back from your brother, go buy some disinfectant like lysol, soak the reg in it for an hour, rinse in warm water for 30 minutes. Replace the mouth piece.

BTW the reg probably has mildew rather than mold. Either way the above will rid the reg of it. However, it does not address the need for regular maintenance. Which for $120 is a huge cost. Half of that is more reasonable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom