what does it mean when a reg is overhauled?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaScotty561

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What happens when the reg is overhauled and if the reg was over hauled a year ago do i get the annual service done this year or no need? Also if a reg is overhauled does that mean something was wrong with it and I shouldn't buy it? Thanks!

An overhaul means the reg is stripped down to its basic components and rebuilt as it would be for the first time. All hard parts are thoroughly cleaned in an ultra-sonic cleaner or similar. All o-rings and seats are replaced. At least that is what I do when I do an overhaul.

As to the service interval, some mfg say every year others every other year. For some divers, like me, we monitor the health of the reg and overhaul when we see something amiss or after X years, where X could 1 or more years.

The problem with regs is that it with some (like a piston reg) it is not easy to give them a quick tune up without tearing them apart. Once a part one might as rebuild them.

What happens when the reg is overhauled and if the reg was over hauled a year ago do i get the annual service done this year or no need? Also if a reg is overhauled does that mean something was wrong with it and I shouldn't buy it? Thanks!

The sheer beauty of scuba regulators is that they are designed with a long life in mind.

As described by Scared Silly, an "overhaul" typically means taking the regulator completely apart and servicing it, replacing the "soft" parts, and clean/inspect and reusing the "hard" parts (if they are in good shape). The tech should ideally do before and after testing, and have asked the customer/diver about any problems the reg might have been having.

This process essentially results in restoring the regulator to "near new" condition, except for normal cosmetic wear and tear on the outside surfaces. It is one of the very few mechanical devices that you can own that get restored to nearly-new condition when it gets "overhauled".

I only "overhaul" my own regs when needed, not on an annual schedule. I do test and inspect very carefully before dives and again before storing the regs, and if I find anything "wrong" that reg set gets the level of "attention" needed to correct the problem.... but problems are exceedingly rare, even on my regs that are >3 years since their last "overhaul".

The only way to really know if a regulator "needs" to be overhauled is to inspect and test it. Some divers choose to have their regulators overhauled annually, regardless.

Others (me) prefer more frequent "inspection and testing", but only doing a full service when called for.

Best wishes.

if you are purchasing a used regulator, i suggest taking it to an authorized dealer for annual service BEFORE using it.Also it would give you an idea of what it is worth.It could be an old regulator that service parts are no longer available..annual service upon purchasing will increase the cost of regulator to you as much as $120. Unless it is real cheap,like $50.-$75. you may want to buy a new one that can be as little as less than $300. and it would come with a manufacturer warrenty.

if you are purchasing a used regulator, i suggest taking it to an authorized dealer for annual service BEFORE using it.Also it would give you an idea of what it is worth.It could be an old regulator that service parts are no longer available..annual service upon purchasing will increase the cost of regulator to you as much as $120. Unless it is real cheap,like $50.-$75. you may want to buy a new one that can be as little as less than $300. and it would come with a manufacturer warrenty.

While the sentiment of getting a used reg checked out (and serviced if necessary) before use is a good one, it's likely that an authorized dealer will underestimate the value of a used reg and instead use scare tactics and the threat of expensive or unavailable parts to try to sell you a new reg. IMO the manufacturer's warranty is worthless and will end up costing most divers much more money in the long run than just servicing as needed and paying for parts.

Getting back to what "overhaul" means on a regulator, in reality that depends on who does it, and to a certain extent, what the manufacturer provides in a rebuild kit. But the basic idea is what the others have posted, and there's no mechanical difference between a new reg and a properly rebuilt one. The terms "service" "overhaul" and "rebuild" are interchangeable in practice, despite the connotation of "overhaul" being more involved than "service."

A reg overhaul is replacing the moving componates and o-rings inside the reg. There is a lot of wear and tear that goes on and it is good to get it done every year or every 50 dives. Also if you regs have sat for a while it is a good idea to get it done becasue the o-rings can dry out and it wont work properly.

A reg overhaul is replacing the moving componates and o-rings inside the reg. There is a lot of wear and tear that goes on and it is good to get it done every year or every 50 dives. Also if you regs have sat for a while it is a good idea to get it done becasue the o-rings can dry out and it wont work properly.

This is exactly the sort of bad information that some dive shops routinely spread about regulator care.
1. "Moving components" are not replaced; just seats and most o-rings. Moving components would include springs, levers, pistons, etc...
2. There is not a lot of wear and tear on regulators; seats do wear gradually with use, but most can last hundreds of dives and several years, if cared for correctly. I have seen regulators decades old with the original o-rings still working fine.
3. It takes many years for an o-ring to deteriorate once its installed in a regulator, as long as the reg is not abused in storage, like put away with salt water drying in and on it, or stored in exceptionally hot or cold conditions.

Annual service of regulators is one of the dive industry's sacred cows, but it's not based on any sort of empirical reasoning. And the BS about "life support" goes against the basic requirements of training and gear selection; the buddy system, air sharing, and alternate air sources.

Just to add some more to this post. The seats in my first stages do not move but I replace them. The piston and springs do move but I do not replace them. So in general the generalized state is false. There can be a lot of wear and tear if one does not take care their gear. But when I pulled my regs apart after four years and a couple of hundred dive they rebuilt like new.

That said I do agree that if a reg has sat for a while it is worth getting them checked out before using. However, they may not need rebuilding.

Back
Top Bottom