MK10 turret flipped up and....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chile7236

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
it breathed harder than when the turret was down...or is something else going on here?

Something else. Breathing harder (perceptible at least) can only happen if the IP shifts by a good amount- at least in the 15-20 psi range. Off hand, I can think of no assembly or failure mode that would cause it to change IP a lot due to position.

thanks, i will have the ip checked

Sounds like a restriction is being introduced. Make sure you don't have any kinks or bends in the hose. The twit :shocked2:who sold you that regulator may not have properly torqued the turret bolt so better check it. One good thing about a MK 10, you can torque the turret retainer without removing the cap. Take the port plug or hose off of the end cap and insert an Allen wrench down into the turret retainer. Steady the turret so it won't turn while you are tightening the bolt. Remember you are looking at the back side of the bolt, so this time it's counterclockwise to tighten/clockwise will loosen.

Sounds like a restriction is being introduced. Make sure you don't have any kinks or bends in the hose. The twit :shocked2:who sold you that regulator may not have properly torqued the turret bolt so better check it. One good thing about a MK 10, you can torque the turret retainer without removing the cap. Take the port plug or hose off of the end cap and insert an Allen wrench down into the turret retainer. Remember you are looking at the back side of the bolt, so this time it's counterclockwise to tighten/clockwise will loosen.

lol...will do.

***edit: checked and it appears to be properly torqued***

will take it by the LDS tomorrow to hook it up to the IP gauge (yes, i know i should have one)...maybe it was just me.

I too can think of nothing that would cause IP to change with orientation of the 1st stage so I doubt if you are likely to learn much from an IP check (you do need a gauge). You might try testing cracking pressure with your primary in a sink of water to see if that is effected by orientation. There could still be some type of restriction effecting breathing even if cracking pressure is not effected, you might try swapping ports and hoses (and 2nd stages) to see if that might reveal any suspects.

An IP gauge may not tell the whole story. If there is a restriction in the hose you'll have to install the IP gauge at the end where it hooks up to the second stage and check IP recovery time. Simply putting the IP gauge on the first stage or even with it's own hose may be bypassing the problem.

i did swap hoses/ports when i reversed the turret position (no idea why i decided to try that) so i put everything back to the way i had it....will check it tomorrow.

What do you mean exactly by "it breathed harder" and what was the circumstance of the comparison? Like consecutive dives, different tank, or just moving it on land on the same tank and taking a breath...information like that.

Something happened, there's no difference in the first stage by turning the turret up or down. If it was on consecutive dives on different tanks, I would suspect the tank valve.

What do you mean exactly by "it breathed harder" and what was the circumstance of the comparison? Like consecutive dives, different tank, or just moving it on land on the same tank and taking a breath...information like that.

Something happened, there's no difference in the first stage by turning the turret up or down. If it was on consecutive dives on different tanks, I would suspect the tank valve.

nothing on consecutive dives...the day prior, i went on a couple of dives and it was breathing "normally"...when i took it out (the day after) after i decided to flip the turret and swap hose ports on a dive the day after (in no more than 12ft), it was breathing a little harder. didn't get to check it out after switching it back the way i usually set it up so i will bring it into the shop and then try and get back in the water.

Back
Top Bottom