Regulator Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daghastly1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Regulator Questions

I'm getting more into Scuba diving. I'm not new, but not very experienced either. I've got my OW and Nitrox certification and I'm in the process of getting my AOW and Dry Suit certification. Long story short, my instructor has talked me into getting a regulator instead of using rentals and I have decided on a Hog D1 Coldwater First Stage and a Hog D2 second stage. I'm only doing recreational diving at the moment but I plan to get into wreck and cave diving at some point. So here are my questions.

1) Do I need to get everything right away (i.e. First stage, primary second stage, alternate second stage, SPG, and low pressure hose for a BCD) or can I buy only the D1 First Stage and one D2 Second Stage and use rentals for the rest (i.e. alternate second stage, SPG, and low pressure hose for a BCD)? Will rental/dive shops allow this? I'm trying to save having to buy everything at once. Also what tools would I need to attach the rental stuff to my First Stage if this is indeed possible?

2) Why is there no depth gauge in the HOG line?

I would wait till you can get the whole regulator setup.
It's not really a good idea to start taking apart a rental to add your own pieces.
I'm pretty sure the LDS will also frown on you taking their regs apart.

Buy when you're ready and when you know exactly what you want.

Posted from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use a console boot that is sized to fit the guage you are using. Most tech divers only use the SPG and rely on computers or bottom timers for depth instead of an integrated console.

Welcome to the board.
Adding a gauge alone or a console is a very minor job. You first remove a port plug out of the HP port you wish to install the gauge in, install the gauge by HAND until it snuggs up then gently tighten it just past hand tight with a proper wrench. DO NOT use a lot of force, the oring does the sealing and there is no need for more torque than is necessary to keep the hose in place. As you can see from the HOG link above, it does not come assembled. While assembly is a minor job, there is room to damage the reg if not done properly and if installing a HP gauge is more than you feel comfortable doing then a complete reg assembly is not IMO a good idea. If this is something you are uncomfortable doing then you need to reconsider buying on line or be prepared to pay a LDS to assemble your gear.

As for renting parts and installing them on your reg, I doubt most shops would like the idea and frankly, after a few rentals you will darn near pay for an inexpensive SPG. Even if you can rent it, IMO you will be better off just buying it.. By the way, you will also need a LP inflator hose and maybe a drysuit hose as well. Those will also need to be installed.....which is done the same way as the HP hose, just in the appropriate LP port.

Dude.

Haul in the reins, buy a book, sit down with your instructor and have him read it to you

any book

Thank you Dave and Herman. I think I'll go with a wrist mounted SPG. I hadn't thought of a hose for a drysuit but I will definitely have to add one of those as well. I think I'm ok assembling the regulator but I'll definitely make sure the shop I buy it from tunes the stages for me.

Unless you go with an air intergrated computer (higher end expensive), a wrist mount for the SPG is not an option. A simple brass and glass guage clipped off to your BC will do nicely and is a whole lot cheaper. Many don't like depth guages in a console along with the SPG. Personally, I like them along as backup to my computer.

Sorry I meant a wrist mounted depth gauge. And a regular SPG. I'll get a computer down the line.

1) If you are buying a reg, just buy the whole thing. By the whole thing, I mean at least 1 1st stage, 2 2nd stage, BC inflator & SPG. NO reason to just rent the SPG and the inflator hose. They are not expansive compared to the main thing. In fact, I am not even sure a dive shop will rent you those item and put them on when you rent them, and take them off when you return.

2) I don't think HOG makes a depth gauge. You may want to get one from another brand.

Now, the real question here is: do you know what are you getting, and if they will fit your need? If so, go ahead. If not, don't start buying because your instructor tells you to. If you are not ready, just keep renting, rent a few other brand and model and decide what works best for you.

HOG is a good brand, makes good regulator. I see 2 potential issues: 1) can you get it service at your LDS? 2)HOG D1 1st only come with DIN. If you use rental tank, you will also need DIN to YOKE adapter which will extend the 1st stage about 1 inch toward you head. Again, do more reseach, try a few more reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom