Getting certified and need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rixxir

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Sorry, I posted this same thread in the BC section by not paying attention. I am getting certified on 8/12/11 and was recommended by friends to purchase regs first and rent the other equipment until I can afford to purchase. I have mask,fins,booties,snorkel. I am looking at a few options. I found at leisurepro a set of oceanic alpha 8 with octo and computer for $449. My local dive shop says that it is entry level equipment. My buddies have more money than I do and have all Scubapro regs, MK25, 600 regs, etc. I have about $450 and would like to buy regs,octo and computer but think from advice that I should look for a preowned set that is a little higher end. I plan to dive wrecks,spear a few fish in SW Florida. Please advise, Any input will greatly be appreciated. I am 43 years old and weigh about 250, smoke the occasional cigar so I am not sure if airflow will be an issue?

Even though I sell gear and could put you in a high perfomance reg minus computer for less than what you want to spend I'd recommend you NOT buy until you finish your certification. Note I said high performance. High price does not guarantee high performance and inexpensive does not mean it will not perform great. The alpha is an entry level reg and a good one. I have one but mine is the alpha 7. It really depends on what 1st stage it has. I just looked and it appears that it has the SP5 1st stage. Not bad but it is not a sealed reg that I prefer when diving salt water, water with lots of particulates, or cold water which you do not have to worry about in Florida.

I also prefer a wrist computer and Leisure Pro has the veo for 150 bucks. I sealed a sealed diaphragm reg with a balanced adjustable primary second and balanced octo of equal quality minus the adjustment. I use a simple spg instead of a console and if you got the computer from LP as I don;t sell computers yet, you would not end up spending much more and you'd have a high performance reg at half the cost or less of the ones your buddies are using.

But I say again I'd finish the cert first and then buy. You may get in OW and decide you don't like it. Or you may realize that for the amount of diving you will actually do it is better to rent at first. But if you are planning on wrecks you don't really want an entry level reg. It will work but for the same cash you can get one that works better.

As for a higher end used set that is an option but you will also pay higher prices to have it serviced before you can use it as it will not be under warranty. So add anywhere from 125-150 to the used price to have it overhauled before you can dive with it.

If I were you I would take out loan and buy the most expensive stuff you can find. :D I still say go with the Oceanic Alpha 8 setup. I have one other than my Scubapro stuff and use it quite a bit.

don't rush into buying things you don't even know about. I will 2nd post #2's advice. In fact, I will even suggestion delay buying until you get 25-50 dives. For the first 25 dives, go try different rental stuff. When you dive more, you get to know more divers who is familiar with your local diving condition. You can see what they use, ask them for gear advices. You will learn a lot in 25 dives if you love diving. What you want by then is likely to be different than what you want now.

Great advice from all three aside from the facetious comment from my buddy LBHeyman who has the best of the best. I will take your advise, if I do in fact wait and probably purchase the Oceanic, but with the bladder instead of the piston, based on the reviews that I have read, or unless something crazy comes along and I cant pass it up. I will start the class on 8/12/11 and keep you updated on the progress. Thankx, Rick

Bought used/serviced 1month ago Oceanic Delta 4/FDX 10, new Alpha 8 Octo, new oceanic gauge console, also new Oceanic Excursion BC.

Just to play devil's advocate a little. Honest, get some of your own stuff if you can afford to do so. Visit a shop or two and ask your friends for advice. If you want to rent please take a look at the gear and judge for yourself if you think it's up to par. Kinda like the advice to not buy till you know what your buying. The same can be said about renting. Know where things should be and what shape it should be in. I had a couple rental bad experiences while taking my classes. Like wetsuits with holes in the armpits, BCD where the hose came off, ect. As soon as class was done I went and bought my own gear. Your own gear can fit better, you will learn where your items are hung and stored, and no one will take care of your stuff like you do. However I replaced a few things like my fins and boots and snorkel after several dives and disagreeing with size or style. That is a downside to going right out, you don't exactly know what will work best for you. If you can find a great shop with up to date rental gear go for it, if not look at getting your own items.

As a NEW diver I would say, if you are going to BUY anything NOW, spend the $$ on a good Reg that suits YOUR needs and will do what YOU need it to do. Based on the diving YOU will be doing, NOT your buddies or what THEY have.

Find the one you want and if you do not have enough money than SAVE UP and get it. The REG makes ALL the difference in the world. Do NOT get something cheaper NOW because that is all you can afford. You will RESENT it later.

SCUBA is a LIFETIME event. Get what YOU want, even if you have to save for it piece by piece.

PS. When I found the Reg I wanted, The Sherwood SR1 and Gemini Alt Air, I had to SAVE to 3 months. BUT, I am the HAPPIEST diver on the boat :)

If you can't BREATH or you have to STRUGGLE to breath and it is a CHORE, no matter how cool your computer and how fast your fins are, you will NOT enjoy being in the water

IMO

And also, look longterm as well. If you get a Reg and Octo set, chances are you are going to want an Alt air instead and probably sooner than later. Which means you will have extra kit you will NOt be using and will have WASTED hundreds of those precious dollars.

Plan ahead and get the Reg and Alt Air together, or buy JUST the primary, or figure out what you want and save for it.

Example: Sherwood SR1 Primary ($500); SR1 Primary and Seconday ($649)
Sherwood Gemini Alt Air ($200)

So ($650) upfront if I did NOT think PLUS ($200) later when I figured it out = $850 OR

PLAN and Think everything through and spend ONLY $700 Then you have $150 for a COMPASS :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom