To Din or not to Din?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a_mart

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey gang,
I have two Oceanic fdx-10 first stages with yoke adaptors. I currently have a PST E-7 hp 100 cylinder. I seem to have read conflicting reports as to whether or not I need to use a din conector to run my tank at 3442 psi. I have read on forms that modern yoke regulators can handle the pressure (another consideration is my LDS's SOP, I haven't asked them yet). Should I upgrade to the 230 bar din or save the money? As a side note I plan on investing in more hp cylinders in the future. Just wondering what your thoughts on the subject are.

once you go DIN, you'll never want to go back.

However, if you don't want to upgrade your regulators, you need to look at the side of the yoke and see what it's rated for. It'll be stamped on there in either PSI or Bar. It should handle 3442psi tanks if it's made in the last 10 years.

still, DIN is a much better connection. You might want to consider upgrading, at least on future reg purchases. You can always use a DIN/yoke adapter on rental tanks for vacation purposes.

Reactions: Jax
I just hate to agree with mike_s :eyebrow:
But he is right, go DIN and you'll never look back.

You do not need a DIN regulator to use PST E7 tanks at 3442psi.

You may need a DIN regulator if you use DOT E9791-3500 tanks, 300bar (4410psi) European tanks or if you are diving in overhead environments. The first two situations will require a 300bar DIN, not a 200bar DIN.

You do not need a DIN regulator to look cool and score at the local bar.

There are very few diving cylinders rated to 300bar in Massachusetts. I think I only know of one.

You do not need a DIN regulator to use PST E7 tanks at 3442psi.

You may need a DIN regulator if you use DOT E9791-3500 tanks, 300bar (4410psi) European tanks or if you are diving in overhead environments. The first two situations will require a 300bar DIN, not a 200bar DIN.

You do not need a DIN regulator to look cool and score at the local bar.

Why overhead environment calls for 300BAR only ? I thought DIN is what required. It can either be 200 or 300.

BTW, your mail box is full.

Why overhead environment calls for 300BAR only ? I thought DIN is what required. It can either be 200 or 300.

This is my question too! I had a pretty OH-intensive dive shop in high springs fl recommend a 200 bar manifold to me- knowing it would be going into OH environments.

Apparently I was unclear. Will try again:

You may need a DIN regulator if you:
a) use DOT E9791-3500 tanks,
b) use 300bar (4410psi) European tanks or
c) if you are diving in overhead environments.

The first two situations (a or b) will require a 300bar DIN, not a 200bar DIN.

I would not buy a 200bar regulator, ever*, and I would not buy a 300bar tank unless unavoidable (a or b, or incredibly cheap). I think putting 300bar manifolds on LP doubles is pretty silly (although 2 of my 3 LP twinsets have 300bar manifolds).

* okay, maybe a Mk5

BTW, your mail box is full.

you have to realize he's in Stuttgart Germany, where 300 bar DIN is pretty much the "Norm" there....

Finding a yoke setup over there is not near as common as in the US.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom