Do bolt snaps damage the hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ohecht

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I am attaching bolt snaps to my primary reg & SPG and I'm using this explanation:
How to tie the perfect boltsnap at Wreck and Cave

I was wondering if I should make it as snug as possible or leave a bit of distance between the bolt snap and the hose, as the bolt's metal can damage the hose's rubber over time.

Thanks.

I've never heard of the metal damaging the hose. I have hoses that are six years old, with boltsnaps tied tightly to them. And you really don't want the boltsnap to slide on the hose; that's a pain.

tie it as snug/tight as you can the boltsnap wont damage the hose.

The boltsnap does not touch the hose. The only thing touching the hose should be the rope you tie it with.

The boltsnap does not touch the hose. The only thing touching the hose should be the rope you tie it with.

What is the reason that the bolt snap should not touch the hose? As I tightened the knot, even though the rope goes between the hose and the bolt snap, they touch a bit.
Is there a specific reason I should loosen it up a bit?
Because as TSandM said if I loosen it up a bit it will move along the hose.

Thanks.

If it is a bit loser then over time as the bolt snap moves, it will move only on the rope nice a freely and not rubbing on the hose with the possible chaffing problem you are concerned about.
The bolt snap should move. When tying the knot, you start lose but it becomes tight, but it gives the steel of the snap a nice hoop of rope to slide through.

The final knot you tie ends up under the boltsnap and not beside it. It is also neater but it will never "slide up the hose"
Humour me and try it.
I would post a picture but I am just about to go on vacation and all my stuff is packed.

Yeah, if you knot it properly the bolt snap isn't in contact with the hose.

As for loosening, here's my tip; add a drop of super-glue or aquaseal to the knot.

Yeah, if you knot it properly the bolt snap isn't in contact with the hose.

As for loosening, here's my tip; add a drop of super-glue or aquaseal to the knot.

:thumb: Thumb's-up and Tip of the Hat for that tip, Devon. Great idea, thanks for sharing it.

<Off to find my Aquaseal> :wink:

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom