Scubapro MK17 Vs. MK25

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flyboy107@gmail.com

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
hey guys, im looking at getting some new regs. i live in Wisconsin, and about 25% of my dives are "cold water" dives. some ice dives in there too. any of my other dives would be kinda dirty inland lakes and Lake Michigan. wich do you think would be a better setup? a MK17/A700 or MK25/A700? or even a MK25/S600?

Thanks

You might also want to consider an MK17 with a G250 for cold water dives.

Yep, MK-17/G250V would get my vote.

or, go even more "V"

MK-17 / 109 or 156....... that all brass case is a beauty in the cold. Drives folks nuts to see a 40 year old regulator that works as well (or better) than their mega-money new ones.

The sealed Mk17 is preferable in cold water. Scubapro tested it at high flow rates at depth in 35 degree water with no freeze ups for the entire 200 minute test. I am not aware of any other first stage that has passed a similarly rigorous test.

The Mk 25 is fine, until the water temp falls to about 45 degrees - below that it requires near perfect cold water technique to prevent freeze flows.

In general more metal is better in a second stage. The G250V has a metal air barrel and a splined inlet fitting nut and adjustment knob that are on the ends of the metal air barrel and that improves heat transfer and improves cold water reliability.

The most recent iteration of the S600 also has a metal air barrel - but the S600 you buy now may or may not have the latest metal air barrel and may still have a plastic air barrel. Unfortunately the plastic air barreled S600 has been associated with aggravating the freeflow tendencies of the Mk 25 in very cold water.

The A700 has an all metal case and metal air barrel and should be an excellent cold water second stage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom