I'm thinking about a Hollis 212 setup as my first reg and bc combo...advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bubblebee

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm new, obviously..and ready to buy my first setup!

I've heard hollis 212 reg and back inflate bc are near the top of the list and I can pick it up for about $1400 with the emergency second and depth, pressure and compass. My concern is whether it's overkill for me and whether the parts and service would be widely available and or cost much more than say an aqua lung titan supreme?

What I'm encountering is the 3 dive shops I have access to all seem to push their own stock brands...the sherwood blizzard, Hollis, aqua lung titan supreme, cressi...what I really need is honest opinions from people who aren't out to make money from advice.

I will be diving in coldish water of the great lakes and in the south, environmental seal is probably a must...I just want a good, reliable reg with easy breathing...I've read mags and googled lots to the point I'm getting cross eyed and confused. Is the second stage adjustment really beneficial?

Anyone have any recommendations? please!

Sherwood, Hollis (of the Oceanic family) and Aqualung are companies that have been around for ages and will continue to be. All 3 are readily serviced at your trusty LDS and easily recognized when you travel. I have been impressed with the Hollis customer service and the overall quality, but I do find the Sherwood and Aqualung products to be pretty robust. That being said, you do not mention the type of diving you envision yourself doing, how often and what of your future needs? While all 3 brands and regs you listed are fine choices, without more information a professional dive center or instructor would be hard-pressed to make a responsible recommendation.

Remember, this is life support equipment.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom