Finally buying some gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jplflyer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Normally I would support my LDS, but I received a letter from the very nice people at Amazon.com telling me that I have 52000 Amazon Points bankrolled and please, don't I want to use
them to buy something? So I scratched my head a couple of times and said, "I know what costs a little less than $520." Basically this is "found money" to me that I can't really use to pay my day to day bills, so I can either use it for Christmas shopping or to buy myself a present.

I'm a relatively inexperienced diver -- about 30 dives spread out over a long long time. I live in Minnesota. I do not ice dive and have no intentions of doing so. However, I could see myself diving in Minnesota lakes in May and September. I have no idea what the water temperatures are -- mid October water is around 45 degrees. And of course, I will go diving while on vacations. Changing life situations mean I'll probably start diving more than I used to. I've always rented and have never used a dive computer. I have no intention of doing deep dives (where deep is over about 100 feet) either.

Amazon has a Scubapro Mk11/R395 for $325. By the time I add octopus, depth and pressure gauges, I'd eat up the $520. From what I can tell, this reg will certainly take care of me and may be more than I really need. I don't know if I'd be okay with a less expensive reg, maybe a Mares.

Along with all this, I'm considering a used BCD (ebay). One can find gently-used BCDs for reasonable prices. Buy weights and tanks from the LDS. Use the weights and tanks locally, rent when I'm traveling.

My basic thought is simple: get *something* now and get in the water more often. Then I can upgrade equipment once I have more experience.

So, my questions:

-Am I being foolish buying a reg via the internet? I'm not worried about the rip-off factor, but there might be things specific to scuba equipment that almost demands I should buy it from the LDS.

-Am I being foolish starting with a less than top end BCD?

-Is the reg I'm looking at the right choice?

-Given the basic situation, would you handle things differently?

Well I'm a newbie also, but I did lots of research before I bought my equipment. Just like you, I did look at all the LDS and Leisure Pro, which there prices are amazing.

The only problem buying it through LP and I would assume that its the same through Amazon, would be the warranty. What I mean by that is, you will need to have it serviced every year, and what I've read and been told by more experience divers, the parts are expensive can cost you anywhere from $100 -$180. But if you buy it through your LDS, then brands like scubapro or Mares, has a lifetime warranty on parts as long that you have it service every year. The prices over here are around 80.00 for the service call. So I bought all my gear through the LDS.

I would trust LP if I was going to buy on-line and not concern about the cost of maintenance, but I'm not sure I would buy my scuba stuff through Amazon to be honest. Again take it for what its worth as I'm still new at this, but don't forget that your life depends on that equipment and the maintenance of it.

Cheers!!!

What I would buy on internet is the computer and gages. Maybe even the bcd

jplflyer:

Do yourself a favor and do THIS:

Think about and write down "what type" of diving you will be, or plan on, doing. This will determine what TYPE of gear you need to get

Then write down a list of "features" that you would like EACH piece of kit to have. For example: Fins [open heel, closed heel, spring straps or adjustable straps, split fin or not, etc.

Once you have that done, then you can list ALL the different "options" for ALL the pieces of kit you need.

Then you can compare the different equipment and see what "other options" each has that you may or may not need or want. Doing it this way will ensure that WHATEVER piece of gear you end up with, it will meet ALL of your needs and wants.

As far as buying things online, you are pretty safe as long as you buy from a reputable source. I would NOT personally buy a used REG [your LIFE is on the line after all lol] but other kit like fins [maybe on condition], BC's [again condition based], wetsuits, etc. you should be OK.

One thing about the REG to consider is "maintenance costs." Some need to be serviced more than others, but at a minimum they ALL need servicing. Some are very expensive to service. Check this out ahead of time and use that too as a factor. Some manufacturers will give you FREE servicing and replacement parts for LIFE through the LDS so even though they "may" be a little pricier upfront, you WILL save in the long run.

And dont be afraid to ASK your LDS for a better deal. Tell them you have X amount to spend now, but you are getting back into diving and when you get MORE $$ you will be buying MORE gear from them. ALOT of LDS's will give you a "substantial" deal and may even MATCH the price you were given online.

PS - Fell free to ask me or PM me with ANY specific equipment questions. I have so many hours logged researching different pieces of kit I should write a book lol.

Normally I would support my LDS, but I received a letter from the very nice people at Amazon.com telling me that I have 52000 Amazon Points bankrolled and please, don't I want to use
them to buy something? So I scratched my head a couple of times and said, "I know what costs a little less than $520." Basically this is "found money" to me that I can't really use to pay my day to day bills, so I can either use it for Christmas shopping or to buy myself a present.

I'm a relatively inexperienced diver -- about 30 dives spread out over a long long time. I live in Minnesota. I do not ice dive and have no intentions of doing so. However, I could see myself diving in Minnesota lakes in May and September. I have no idea what the water temperatures are -- mid October water is around 45 degrees. And of course, I will go diving while on vacations. Changing life situations mean I'll probably start diving more than I used to. I've always rented and have never used a dive computer. I have no intention of doing deep dives (where deep is over about 100 feet) either.

Amazon has a Scubapro Mk11/R395 for $325. By the time I add octopus, depth and pressure gauges, I'd eat up the $520. From what I can tell, this reg will certainly take care of me and may be more than I really need. I don't know if I'd be okay with a less expensive reg, maybe a Mares.

Along with all this, I'm considering a used BCD (ebay). One can find gently-used BCDs for reasonable prices. Buy weights and tanks from the LDS. Use the weights and tanks locally, rent when I'm traveling.

My basic thought is simple: get *something* now and get in the water more often. Then I can upgrade equipment once I have more experience.

So, my questions:

-Am I being foolish buying a reg via the internet? I'm not worried about the rip-off factor, but there might be things specific to scuba equipment that almost demands I should buy it from the LDS.

-Am I being foolish starting with a less than top end BCD?

-Is the reg I'm looking at the right choice?

-Given the basic situation, would you handle things differently?

1.) Nothing wrong with buying gear on the internet. You need to consider where you will have your regulators serviced, but that is not as big a hurdle as it seems.

2.) You do not need a "top end" BC.... you need a BC that fits you properly and that suits the type of diving you want to do.

3.) Reg choice: If you are looking at ScubaPro, consider the Mk-17 / G250v for just a few bucks more, from LeisurePro:

Scubapro MK17/G250V Regulator

You'll be stepping up from a midrange reg to a top-end reg, for only slightly more money.

4.) In your basic situation (we've all been there), just try to read as much as you can, ask lots of questions, and if possible test gear before buying (rent, demo, borrow, etc.).

If you are like most of us, you'll buy at least one piece of gear you end up replacing with a year or so because it was not actually right for you.... but the more homework you do, the less likely this is.

Have fun!!

The regs are a good choice, used BCD could be ok if bought via a reputable dealer, but wooah!!! Hold on there. I'd hate to see scuba gear sitting in your closet. With just a handful of dives it's not the time to buy gear! Rent from a couple of places and when you are sure start with a computer! Try a dive holiday! Buy some prepaid visa cards with the points and use them to pay for your trip!

Regs have to be serviced. Will you get value out of your regs diving occasionally? It could be over 100/yr in service depending on what you get and who does the service.

Still burdened by annoying Amazon emails? PM me and I'll take care if those pesky Amazon points! Mrs =c= could use another pair of shoes.

From my perspective as a 30 year instructor, dive shop owner and charter boat captain, divers who certify and do not commit to the sport by purchasing their gear will be out and gone from the sport in less than a year. One of the reasons there is little grown in the sport.
Rentals often disapoint or add fear when building confidence is still important.
Dive shops recieve the same return on investment in the rental department with cheap gear as they do for expensive gear. Many operations keep equipment in service longer than they should and often maintance is put off during busy season and users experience problems as a result.
If you know this scuba diving is your thing, buy your own gear and take care of it.

I think this may be correlation error... Not to discount the importance of gear but take this example:

70% of the car accidents happen when the driver is within 10 miles of home. This factoid led to the speculation that people are careless when they are close to home (familiarity breed complacency).

Not true. In fact distance from home has almost no correlation with the frequency of an accident.

I think the volume of almost new gear on ebay and craigslist speaks volumes abot the correlation to gear and diving. As for rental gear, buying the wrong gear is just as bad as renting poor quality gear. Most shops I know have pretty good rental gear for the reason you mentioned; they want people to come back.

My experience (I know the plural of anecdote is not fact) is that people leave diving because what brought them to diving changes. For example, buddy stops diving, they have a bad lobster experience, they saw the local waters and got tired of diving the same hole, or they just have a bad expirence... My number one observation is that they don't go out and do those amazing dives that everyone talks about IE. I dove a WWII wreck!!! Or I swam with sealions!!! Etc...

I say account for how much servicing the reg/octo set would cost you. If you dont dive enough it may or may not be worth it (but it is great having your own gear so you know it is availible to you all the time). A BCD, is a sound investment for any diver, it allows you to get used to weight releases and dump valves and service aslong as stored properly would be 35 bucks occasionally (replacing power inflator). I do suggest a computer since they are fairly easy to use (mine i set my mix if im running nitrox, turn air on and jump in water) A computer monitors depth, acts as a bottom timer, monitors Surface interval, and calculates NDL's based on multi-tier diving (if you do get a computer make sure it is user serviceable since some have to go back to MFG and cost a decent amount for service)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom