Moisture under Oceanic FDX-10 environmental cap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CT Sean

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all, I tried posting this in the Oceanic forum but no response - assume they are following the "reg servicing is for dealers" philosophy. Hoping to have better luck over here.

At some point during a few days diving in Curacao I noticed the environmental cap was a bit loose so I tightened it. Upon returning home and I gave my regs a good thorough soaking and cleaning - which includes removing the cap and seal and trim ring. I noticed that there was a touch of water under the seal as well as a spot below the piston.

Is this grounds for an immediate servicing? (I'm technically due for a yearly service anyway - if I want to keep the free parts) I know a non-sealed first stage would have water in the ambient chamber anyway but with the sealed chamber I don't know if the water could find its way into the rest of the first stage.

thanks

Not neccessarily grounds for immediate servicing. One of the downsides to the Oceanic FDX10 first stage is that plastic environmental seal cap can get busted really easily. Which causes water to get into the dry ambient pressure chamber and can possibly start eating away at the coatings over time. Ive got a divemaster that has had the same problem after I reccomended NOT using this regulator professionaly. Its just not designed to be abused.
After removing the piston (a piece of tape helps to pull it out), dry out the chamber with a little compressed air and a q-tip. DO NOT ADJUST THE HEX NUT INSIDE THE DRY CHAMBER! You should be fine after the chamber is dry, as long as the environmental diaphragm and cap are not damaged. It wouldnt hurt to take it to an authorized dealer to check it out.

Hey CT Sean- I just had the same thing happen and when I went to put it back together I ended up with not just the piston and the grey(Some are Blue) diaphragm but another black one. I have always seen black through the cap so I just put it back in but now looking at the service manual and saw there should only be one diaphragm at this location. So why do I have two??

---------- Post added February 11th, 2015 at 07:50 PM ----------

Never mind on my post above. I was wrong there is only a grey piston and 1 black diaphragm on mine.

Back
Top Bottom