Some corrosion in first stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mathauck0814

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Vermont, California, Australia and the Upper Keys
So the obvious answer is to send it in for servicing... but let's say you had a first stage that was relatively new (<1 year, ~80-100 dives) first stage, environmentally sealed regulator that's misbehaving.

Symptoms: When attached to a tank (DIN) there's a slight 'hiss' indicating an improper seal. There is also some IP creep when plugging an IP meter in.

Preliminary diagnostics: Taking it apart as far as I can get to with the tools available, there is some slight corrosion inside.

For argument's sake, I've got an ultra-sonic cleaner. Is it going to potentially help (and not harm) if I were to pull the port screws out and put it in the US cleaner with either distilled water and/or vinegar or simple green to see if I can clear up the issue? Or is it sufficiently pooched that I should bypass any DIY home experiments and send it in for real service?

I'm not opposed to the service route, it was more that I might enjoy trying to fix it myself (but I don't want to do something at home that will make matters worse).

Thoughts?

If you are not qualified to service this regulator and have access to the proper tools and parts required to service this regulator, I don't see why you'd want to fiddle with it instead of having somebody with the tools, spare parts, experience and qualifications to do it.

It is obvious from your post that you don't have the knowledge to do it at this point. Take it to who can do it properly and safely.

If you are getting IP creep the HP seat needs to be replaced. So service time. A complete rebuild should be part of the service which will expose any corrosion. Yer DIY idea is dumbshiitery and will not do anything but remove needed lubricant and make thing worse.

My suggestion is that if you suspect corrosion I would be looking at the cylinders you are using. They might be a source of crap getting into your reg. What does the metal filter look like?

BTW The only time I put an assembled reg into the ultra sonic cleaner is when it has so much corrosion on it that I can not take it apart. Sometime though all it need is a good soaking in hot water for a few hours. But at that point I plan to fully service it but I still do not allow water to enter the first stage.

...I'm not opposed to the service route, it was more that I might enjoy trying to fix it myself (but I don't want to do something at home that will make matters worse).

Thoughts?

I'll take a different approach:

1. Yes. The reg does need to be serviced based on the "symptoms". Do not just remove the port plugs and soak in distilled water, simple green, vinegar, or ultrasound the first stage.... wrong approach, it will not solve the underlying problem (failing high pressure seat), will probably remove the lube from o-rings, and could possibly cause damage to the inside of the first stage (vinegar is an acid, and could cause mischief if not completely removed).

2. You can learn to do the work required to service the regulator yourself, but it takes an investment in time (to learn) and tools. I chose this route, and am very happy I did.... it was one of the single best "diving decisions" I've ever made.

3. You do need to determine why you are seeing internal corrosion (unless you are just talking about a little in the ambient chamber, in which case I'd just suspect inadequate washing/soaking post-dive. If you have a good deal of corrosion on the sintered filter or beyond, then you've had some exposure to water, and need to determine if it due to sloppy technique when handling the first stage, or coming from tanks.

Best wishes.

\ Is it going to potentially help (and not harm) if I were to pull the port screws out and put it in the US cleaner with either distilled water and/or vinegar or simple green to see if I can clear up the issue?

You almost have it right. It will potentially harm and not help, not the other way around. When you say there's "corrosion inside" what exactly are you referring to? Green stuff in the chamber just beyond the filter? If it's a sealed reg there should be nothing in the ambient chamber, but I suspect you didn't get that far. In any event, there are two problems; the HP leak and the IP creep. What kind of reg is it, anyway? Less than a year old, yet leaking and creeping? Either you don't take very good care of it or its a SR1....(hehe)

It's a HOG D1 that I lent out for others' use, so I can't attest to the feed and caring of it at every turn (my guess is that it got water inside). I can pull the threaded column off and look inside where I see some slight discoloration (sorry I don't know the specific term of the piece, but it's the cylinder behind the allen-bolt where I'm assuming the air immediately interfaces between the tank and the first stage).

I believe the newer D1's (balanced diaphragms, the cold water version has an environmental seal) have either an end LP port or the older bottom port. In either case, removing this and peering into the reg should reveal shiney, squeaky-clean metal surfaces, no corrosion AT ALL. If you are seeing corrosion here, there was a problem (water intrusion).

Best wishes.

Edit: Or, are you talking about having removed the DIN fitting? I might have misunderstood. The part I was referring to is on the end of the first stage...

Quit lending your regs to your friends, sounds like they are costing you money by either 1) not checking the cylinders for crap before assembling the reg on to them 2) allowing water to get into your reg by either poor rising or from draining their cylinders to zero.

As said time for service and as suggested ask the tech if you can be there when they work on the reg (do offer to help as the might charge you more ;-).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom