Scubapro D350 freeflowing problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mobeeno

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Today towards the end of a dive my D350 was breathing wet. After the dive I shook the second stage hoping to clear sand or sediments. Went back and dove in the shallow and the regulator was breathing dry and felt normal again then suddenly it just freeflowed like crazy. I had to turn off the tank valve.
Could it be that a faulty seat or an oring caused the problem?

if i'm thinking of the inside of the reg correctly, the diaphragm is sticking... unscrew the front of your reg, gently lift out the diaphragm, clean the diaphragm and inside of the reg and reassemble... if you can do this under pressure, that would be best... be very careful with the diaphragm. they are delicate... also when you are diving, keep the reg more level. water collects on in inside slightly. my dive rite's do the same thing....

You'll need to pull off the rubber cover before you can unscrew the diaphragm cover - some come off easily and others not so much. With the latter run hot water over it and it will come off easier when warm. If you are just checking for obstructions between the cover and diaphragm, that is as far as you need to go as the exhaust valve and most of the diaphragm will be visible.

If you go farther, proceeed with caution. Before you remove the dipahragm, note the four small dots equidistant around the edge of the diaphragm. They help you visually index the diaphragm so it is properly oriented as the loop that engages the lever under the diaphragm must be oriented vertically to properly engage the lever without interference. when you re-assemble it, ensure the lever is properly engaged and that the diaphragm is properly oriented.

Don't worry about keeeping it level in the water. The D300/350/400 is designed so the diaphragm and exhaust valve are both level and at the low point of the reg in a normal swimming position. They will breath wet only if the diver is pretty much inverted for an extended period of time.

The wet breathing is probably from some obstruction between the diaphragm and exhaust valve; on this reg the exhaust valve mounts directly on the diaphragm via a had plastic flange that is part of the diaphragm. I've had a few breathe a little wet and the final solution was to replace either the exhaust valve, diaphragm, or both. The sudden freeflow might have been from a problem with the lever hanging up on the clip that DA referenced, or might have been just a freeflow that turned violent due to excessive venturi assist. In any event, there's a small plastic sleeve just inside the mouthpiece flange that you can adjust to control the venturi. The older air1s (mine, anyhow) and converted pilots don't have this sleeve, and once they get flowing, it can be pretty dramatic. So, push that sleeve so that it covers about half of the opening to the mouthpiece and see if that helps. You need a small screwdriver or something similar to do it.

The one thing that might account for both would be a problem with the hard plastic flange and mounting clip that holds together the diaphragm/exhaust valve and attaches the lever, so that's where I would start looking if it were mine. The orientation of the lever and and diaphragm, as DA mentioned, is really important.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I managed to open the cover of this unusual reg and there was a piece of kelp in the cover. It probably caused the reg to purge continuously. It is hard to imagine how it managed to get in there. Hooked it up to a tank and it does not freeflow anymore: )

where can i send you a bill.... LOL i knew it... a foreign invader. that'll teach you to use the regulator under water...!!! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom