Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Considering a used reg. Which should I *not* consider?

Registered

Wants to dive

Dives
    25 - 49

Considering a used reg. Which should I *not* consider?

Hey all,

I know this may be a broad question and I'm not looking for an all-encompassing answer. Just a little guidance.

I'm in the market for a used reg. My diving is in warm water with some deeper dives like the Duane (130' max). I'm looking for a balanced reg that can also be used with nitrox. I'm not a pro diver and really don't expect to be. Just looking for a good breather that will serve me well at all depths.

Are there specific regs/brands that I should *not* consider due to limitations based on what I listed, bad performance or parts availability? I'm especially concerned about the last two.

Appreciate the help.

Rey...

Scuba Instructor

Wharfbangingdockknocker

Generally if buying new name brand gear, your best deal for the money will be 2 models up from the entry level product.
    If buying used get the top of the line model because you can probably resell it if you decide to purchase new with warranty.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

I would not get a Sherwood SR1, based on my less-than-favorable impression of one that a friend has. Not much of a sample size, but there are so many great choices out there that it doesn't make sense to get anything without a stellar reputation.

Registered

hasn't set a status.

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Pretty much any mid range model of most of any of the major brands are fine, there is not much real difference between them. I do agree with halocline, the SR-1 is the one exception. It has a bad record and IMO is way over engineered. Parts and service on any major brand is usually not a problem, this is esp true of Scubapro and Aqualung (aka US Divers)
    herman

www.ncdivers.com
    Oly C-5050, PT-015, Inon D180

Scuba Instructor

Just average among my dive
    buddies. ;-)

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Don't pay more than half of the retail price.

Because: You'll have to factor the cost of the service, and you won't be getting the "free parts" deal (Scubapro, Aqualung) if you are not the original owner.

So make sure that the deal you are getting on a used reg makes it worth you while. There are some sellers out there that are quite proud of their used regs, look for the realistic ones.

-Mitch
    "If they didn't suck, I'd still own one of them." Superlyte27.

When do YOU start to accept a lower standard of performance? don't crap on a cupcake and tell me it's frosting.

"Wait a minute, something's wrong." -Jimi Hendrix; Red House

Registered

Sadly staying dry for another
    7 months

Dives
    200 - 499
    I don't know anything about your area, but are the number of LDS a factor?

Whatever you get, you want to make sure that your shop can service and get parts for you as needed. Might be worth a chat with them to see if they are limited on what they can service. Unless you have many options, or do your own work, then my theory is blown out the window
    Let everything else in life go and just live to dive another day

Rebreather Pilot

Globetrotting as always...

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Don't buy something you can't have serviced locally and/or service yourself (this may not be as big a problem in Florida as elsewhere). Also - when you think you've settled on a used reg, I strongly encourage you to price check it against some of the great new regs out there (specifically Hollis and/or HOG) which can be cheaper brand new than some others are used.
    Pullmyfinger likes this.

Scuba Instructor

has not let gear
    get dryformore than 3 daysnow

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Talk to your LDS and see what kind of deals they can actually work with you to get you into a new reg or maybe a staff member wants to "key man" a new setup. Also look at what you might want to do with your diving in the future and invest towards that instead of spending a hundo on a used reg, hundo on service (or more) just to find that you are not 100% satisfied with what you settled for used.

perpetual scuba student

former instructor

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Blog Entries
    Getting parts for Dacor can be difficult.
    davetowz likes this.
    What's that scuba acronym?
    List of scuba agencies.
    Did you know nitrox and altitude can cancel?

To err is inevitable.
    “Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do.” ― Dale Carnegie

ScubaBoard Supporter

Go Red - Support SB!

knows better, but that has
    not stopped him yet.

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    When my kids started to dive, and I need quite a bit of gear, I spoke with the LDS and purchased several of their used rental/class regs (Sherwood Blizzards, in our case). That way, they were serviced when I purchased them, and I knew the LDS would continue to service and stand behind their merchandise. Worked out well for us.

[IMG]http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=181070&stc=1&d=1396550 637[/IMG [
    popcorn, turn the last> [ to the left, like this> ]

custom Jewelery, inspired by my love of nature, and diving:

http://www.facebook.com/ringdoctor

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast