Serviced and sat for almost 2 years

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cloudswinger

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
If I had a reg overhauled in Oct 2009, and for various reasons didn't use it until now, do I need to get it serviced again? It's been stored indoors, no sign of corrosion, worked fine on a recent dive. How soon should I get it serviced again?

Two years is nothing. I would inspect and test it and dive it when everything checked out. I recently came by a USD Conshelf that had a tag on it indicating it was serviced in 1992. It had not been used since. After almost 20 years in storage, my inspection is a bit more thorough than I would normally do but it looks like this one is going back in the water with nothing but a little lubrication and adjustment.

If the regulator was in good shape in 2009 and the guy who serviced it did a good job, chances are it will be fine. Cycle the regulator a couple of hundred times before you do a VERY thorough inspection. The soft bits will decay even if you don't use the regulator, sometimes faster because you haven't. Good O-rings should last for close to ten years before they become significantly brittle, cheap ones are prone to early brittleness and tend to permanently deform without use. Ditto seats and diaphragms.

If there is any question about the performance, get it overhauled. If you don't have the skills/tools to do a thorough inspection, get it overhauled. Or not, if you like dancing on the edge.

If it was me....
Look at it vewy vewy closely.
If is passes your visual and tactile inspection...
Hook it up....use it for a while.....and bring a dive buddy when you use it.

I guess I am saying...if it was me...

id-hit-it-live-wallpaper-10-1.jpg

Chug
Has a 20 year old Conshelf for an as yet unpurchased bail out bottle in the garage.

I have a USD Aquarius that I bought new 1n 1976. I dived it regularly until 1993, when I stopped diving. Two years ago, I decided to start diving again and pulled the Aquarius out of retirement after 16 years. I gave it a good once over and took it diving and dived it the whole summer. That fall, I took it apart to service it. A good cleaning and a bit of silicone grease and it was ready to go again. This past winter, I put new O-rings in it even though the old ones were still supple. It really depends on the conditions under which a reg is stored, I suppose. SCUBA regulators are not the delicate creatures some people would have you believe. Most of them are robust, tough li'l buggers that are built to last a long time under some pretty rough conditions.

''worked fine on a recent dive''

If that was the case. In my opinion you are good to GO. I would still suggest having your buddy informed with the situation and doing a check dive to see everything is fine with the regulator.

Cheers
@sea

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom