cheap octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

navyasw02

Registered
Reaction score
Anybody got any recommendations for a really cheap octo primarily for travel purposes? I was thinking about going with the Octo-Z because it integrates with the inflation hose, but I'd rather go cheaper if possible.

My god man, you can't put a price on your life support! Get the atomic Ti octo!:wink:

One good cheap option would be an old SP 108, you can probably find one for $20. Not a great breather but super reliable and durable. If you insist on a modern plastic reg, you can probably find a R190 with a nice yellow cover for about $50. I would stay away from any octo/inflator if saving money is your goal (actually for other reasons too, but lets not open that door....) and I would avoid the old dacor viper, aka mares brigade. I had one and it typically lasted about 6 months or less before starting to freeflow, was very picky about IP, and breathed like crap. I gave it away to a friend, then felt guilty enough so I took it back and gave him something decent.

If possible, I'd recommend going with an octo that's the same brand as your primary second stage and first stage. This simplifies reg servicing.

There are a lot of basic, rock-solid, relatively inexpensive second stages out there. halocline mentioned a few. You can save some money buying used, but take into consideration the cost of servicing prior to use (if it requires it). Second stage overhaul parts kits can cost $10-$20 each and that doesn't include labor costs.

I recently saw the Aqualung Legend octopus on sale for a little over $100 at a local authorized Aqualung dealer. It breathes great. I wouldn't recommend anything like the Aqualung ABS octo. It doesn't breathe very well.

My god man, you can't put a price on your life support! Get the atomic Ti octo!:wink:

One good cheap option would be an old SP 108, you can probably find one for $20. Not a great breather but super reliable and durable. If you insist on a modern plastic reg, you can probably find a R190 with a nice yellow cover for about $50. I would stay away from any octo/inflator if saving money is your goal (actually for other reasons too, but lets not open that door....) and I would avoid the old dacor viper, aka mares brigade. I had one and it typically lasted about 6 months or less before starting to freeflow, was very picky about IP, and breathed like crap. I gave it away to a friend, then felt guilty enough so I took it back and gave him something decent.

What's wrong with the inflator/octo combo? I just started looking into it but it looks like a good way to make the rig more compact. I just dont know about the servicing requirements on the thing, that's my only hangup right now unless you can provide more insight on it.

What's wrong with the inflator/octo combo? I just started looking into it but it looks like a good way to make the rig more compact. I just dont know about the servicing requirements on the thing, that's my only hangup right now unless you can provide more insight on it.
Yeah, the inflater/octo combo is a great way to make the rig more compact, but that convenience does come with at least one or two trade-offs.

Have you ever managed a shared air ascent with an inflater/octo combo?
If you haven't, I'd recommend trying it out before you buy the combo.

You should really do a search on this topic, there are literally dozens of old threads debating octo/inflators. But, the immediate thing that's wrong with them for your stated requirements is that they are more expensive; so if you want cheap, forget about them. Personally I do not think that they add any convenience or comfort while diving; just another thing that sounds good in the dive shop showroom, but doesn't pan out that way in use while diving. But, if you want the whole story, find some of those threads and you'll get all sorts of opinions.

Bubbletrouble had a couple of good points about getting the same brand as your primary for service and about avoiding the aqualung compact octo. The bit about keeping one brand for servicing is not so important if your shop handles both brands in your set up. What you want is a simple full sized downstream 2nd stage. Yellow is not important, reliability is.

There is a sometimes-held opinion that your octo 2nd stage should be as high quality as your primary, because you will be using it in an emergency and that's the wrong time to be using a sub-par 2nd stage. While I appreciate this sentiment, there are so many decently breathing 2nd stages out there that will do the job just fine, that IMO what's important is that both your 2nd stages are adequate, not necessarily of equal performance. I rarely dive with the same 2nd stage as primary and octo, but both are good breathers that I would be happy using as primary 2nds. That's probably a more useful standard.

I always buy used regs so I'm biased. Because regulators need to be rebuilt routinely and are designed as such, and because quality regulators will last decades with even modest care, and because regulators have not really improved in decades, and because there is such a glut of available gear from the attrition of divers who eagerly buy new gear when they're first certified and then don't continue diving, it's kind of an ideal market for used gear. But, that's only my opinion.

I see lots of cheap octos come through for service and they are both uniformly cheap, generally fragile and breathe like crap.

Integrating them into the inflator hose just makes them worse.

If the OP sends me a PM, I'll be happy to sell him a freshly serviced Scubapro R108 for $30 plus shipping. It should deliver an inhalation effort around 1.0-1.2" of water and will probably breathe as well as the primary - and it wil prevent a regrettable purchase.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom