Hog D1 or Dive rite RG3100

• RG3100

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • D1

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Both great regs. I am partial to the hog though. Easy to service and you can order it with whatever components and hose lengths you want. PM me for prices on the hog.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9550 using Tapatalk

Do you want a black or silver first stage ?
The only other difference would be the way the 5 th port is attached. To remove the Hog 5 th port swivel, you use an allen wrench.
On the Dive Rite first stage you use a wrench to remove the swivel.
Also, the Dive Rite service kit includes one more plastic part in the kit vs the HOG.

Both will serve you well,

Jim Breslin

As you have seen, there are plenty of threads on the HOG regs. I think it's cool that HOG is a company that allows the consumer to easily purchase service kits for their regulators.

They have clearly established themselves as a company with good customer service and they are pretty active on the forums. They sort of pushed real hard last year with huge discounts on regulators, selling them at near wholesale to gain some market share and get their name established.

But IMO I think they have sort of shot themselves in the foot. I now associate them as being a discount brand, for awhile it seemed they were always on sale. Not so much now.

I think that when they start to have to raise their prices they will be stuck with the perception that the are a discount brand. I know that the quality of their regs are good, I have the Dive Rite regs along with a few service kits and know that they are pretty much the same.

Last year I wasn't sure how long the HOG would even be around, I knew that Dive Rite was a well established brand. Today I don't really think there will an issue with the HOG brands longetivity, but last year I was thinking that they could be the next Salvo. I've seen threads here where people are looking to dump their old Salvo regs or get service kits for them (this was just my thought last year, when I was buying my Dive Rite's)

As for Dive Rite.....making service kits available to the consumer is nothing new for them. HOG was getting a lot of hype on the forums from users that were singing the praises (rightfully so) for HOG being the only company that was doing this. Many of them must have been unaware that Dive Rite has been doing that for a long time now.

Considering that Dive Rite and HOG are essentially making the same reg, the choice for me came down to which company.
I went with Dive Rite because they are the more established company, by far. Providing service kits isn't a new thing, they've been doing that for a long time.

Dive Rite even provides the service manuals for their regulators.

HOG came out with a product line including things beyond just regulators, but they used a strategy of dumping products as cheaply as possible to gain market share. As I stated, this may not necessarily be a bad thing but they have now become the $250 regulator.

Would you still be buying them when they raise their prices? They've sort of painted themselves into a corner when it comes to pricing.
They will have to raise their prices eventually, either that or continue being the $250 regulator. ( Lately they've become the $260-$270 reg, and are no longer blown out like they used to be).

It seems like they have just copied the product lines of other established companies and are having to compete on the only thing they can, which is price.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing HOG. They just have a hill to climb in regards to overcoming their earned reputation of being a discount brand.
When you're a discount brand....I'll only buy your products when they are heavily discounted.

For most people it'll come down to price.
For me, I chose to reward the company that was already doing it, and bought Dive Rite. I'll support who got there firstest with the mostest in this case.

Or you could just choose Black or chrome.:wink:

-Mitch

Thanks for the input. Would you describe it as black chrome or is it something else. Don't forget to vote on my poll.

It's black chrome, shiny not matte.

-Mitch

Primary regulators

Cave Adventures sells both regulators also. They should have the service kits also, you'd probably have to call and get the current prices.

-Mitch

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom