Tortuga68's Apeks Flight vs ATX200 comparo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tortuga68

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Apparently you can find all this information on the Apeks website; nevertheless I thought I'd post a few photos of & comments on these two very different regs because that's the kind of helpful and considerate guy that I am:

Here we see the two in yoke configuration. You can look up the weights and specs on the Apeks website if you want (hint: one is bigger/heavier than the other - can you guess which?)

IMG_3788.jpg

Here are the first & second stages compared. They both use the same service kits as every other Apeks reg ever made ever apparently (according to The Wart)

IMG_3777.jpg

Below you can see the proprietary no-tool hose fitting. I should have mentioned this in my Apeks model/series thread - oh wait, I did. I don't like it; reminds me of a kiddy-proof Aspirin bottle. These designs are fine for dispoable items

IMG_3780.jpg
IMG_3781.jpg

The Flight first stage has a lot of plastic around it - here's what it looks like when you take those bits off (NB the Flight uses a proprietary DIN fitting - different to other Apeks regs; just in case you were thinking about converting one from yoke to DIN. I'm sure that info is on the Apeks website. What, it isn't? Oh ****)

IMG_3783.jpg
IMG_3784.jpg
IMG_3785.jpg

This is what the ports look like. Apparently some people hit them with a hammer or something, and need to buy regs with redundant ports so they can rotate them in this event. I can't say I've ever had this problem. YMMV

IMG_3787.jpg

In summary, I'd like to apologise for wasting your time with this thread, since you could easily have just visited the Apeks website instead - here's the link: http://www.apeks.co.uk

PS Go **** yourself mate

Last edited:
I purchased the Flight set recently, haven't used them yet - it will become my new recreational travel reg (replacing an ATX100 pair - of course you know what that is, or could look it up on the Apeks website listed above... but just in case you can't access the site for some reason, I mean an ATX100 second stage paired with an FST first stage)

A scubaboard member asked me recently via PM what I thought about the Flight - here's my edited reply:

"The Flights I will use for light travel only, typically single tank dives to a max of 30m/100'. If I'm travelling to do something more serious I'll take an FST (100 series first stage), or two FSTs and a bracket to make independant doubles out of two rental DIN tanks

I'm not confident of the Flight's performance below ~40m/130' and I wouldn't use it as a primary for deco dives of any depth

For a deco reg from 21m/70' up I don't see any performance issues, so long as it's comfortable for you - for me the proprietary hose would be too short (some people also find the mouthpiece too small)

AFAIK there is no difference to the internal design of the 100% O2 Flight regs. The dedicated reg is mostly there to protect Apeks from liability and to meet EU/CE regulations on Nitrox use. **IMHO** if you strip and properly O2 clean, lube & prepare (change o-rings if required) on a 'standard' Flight it would be safe for 100% O2 use. NB this would be your risk and I accept no liability if it catches on fire and you die

Read this link and make up your own mind: http://www.apeks.co.uk/products/pro... Nitrox M26 First Stage&Category=First Stages "

Last edited:
There's been a lot of discussion about the proprietary LP hose... IMO you have to consider that the Flight is first & foremost designed as an ultralightweight travel reg... compatibility, availability of spares & cold water/deep performance were sacrificed in this pursuit. You can choose to live with that or use something else - the weight difference isn't that great at the end of the day

Personally I plan to use a 5' MiFlex LP hose with an ATX50 seconday as my primary, and bungee the Flight second stage as my backup; not sure how well this will work, as the Flight hose is an annoying 'mid' length - longer than I would choose for a bungeed seconday, but nowhere near long enough for a primary. We'll see

Some people are using AL Mikron second stages to avoid the hose issue but I can't see myself doing that

Last edited:
Most Apeks products are very reliable and gimmick FREE but from time to time.......
eg. Sentinel, Egress, Status and Tungsten.

I do not think "saving weight" is more important than performnace.

There's been a lot of discussion about the proprietary LP hose... IMO you have to consider that the Flight is first & foremost designed as an ultralightweight travel reg... compatibility, availability of spares & cold water/deep performance were sacrificed in this pursuit. You can choose to live with that or use something else - the weight difference isn't that great at the end of the day

Personally I plan to use a 5' MiFlex LP hose with an ATX50 seconday as my primary, and bungee the Flight second stage as my backup; not sure how well this will work, as the Flight hose is an annoying 'mid' length - longer than I would choose for a bungeed seconday, but nowhere near long enough for a primary. We'll see

Some people are using AL Mikron second stages to avoid the hose issue but I can't see myself doing that

Yeah, I was very interested in the "travel" reg when it first came out until I discovered its proprietary hose, I think this was a mistake. A travel reg with a non standard hose, Im on a boat in the middle of nowhere and my hose bursts, unless I am carrying another Apeks hose or in fact 2, primary and Octo, then Im possibly done diving. And although this may be only a slim possibility it is still a possibility one which after having spent $$$ on the trip is not a risk Id be willing to take. If you want different lengths they need to be special order with Apeks. If you have to carry 2 spare hoses just in case, I would hazard that they are heavier than a standard hose fitting would be, then is starts to negate the whole light weight thing. How many dive shops around the world especially those in more remote locations or less developed locations are going to stock these hoses. To those who have seen me say the say this several times about the Flight I apologize for the repetition. I think Apeks would have sold more if they used standard hoses or at least the choice to do so.

I know some people, well actually only 3, who have used both the Flight and the Mikron and all prefer the Mikron in terms of breathing.

Tortuga68,

Thanks for sharing some photos and comments about the subject.
Now, I have a better understanding about the kind or nature of this product (Flight regulator). Recently, I have had almost recommend this one to a friend. Thinking that, it's an excellent regulator setup.
And for those who already acquired it, use it, don't worry, I guess it won't kill you. And remember, there is always a room for a switch. But it would add to an expense.

seal

I think it's fair to say that if you buy an ultralightweight anything, then you have to expect some compromises. If you buy an ultralightweight version of a car, you may have to do without air conditioning, power steering, noise insulation etc. These are sacrificed to meet the primary goal of being ultralight

The thing I don't like about the proprietary hose fitting is the squeezy/bendy nature of it... it is just like an aspirin bottle as I said above; you squeeze & deform the outer ring to disengage the locking ratchet. This type of design cannot last forever, the ratchet teeth will wear and the locking ring will eventually crack

Apeks set out to build the world's lightest reg, and delivered. I guess that's a gimmick in some ways, or at least bragging rights for Apeks... but it is actually useful in a way, unlike say the Status or the ATX 1/2" LP ports both of which have little to no benefit while creating added inconveniences

If owning the world's lightest reg appeals to you, and you do <30m warm water dives when travelling, get a Flight. You can get a spare hose although honestly, how often do hose failures happen? If you want more flexibility, compatability, durability & deep/cold performance, there are plenty of other Apeks models that meet these requirements.

You can't have your cake & eat it too

I think it's fair to say that if you buy an ultralightweight anything, then you have to expect some compromises. If you buy an ultralightweight version of a car, you may have to do without air conditioning, power steering, noise insulation etc. These are sacrificed to meet the primary goal of being ultralight

The thing I don't like about the proprietary hose fitting is the squeezy/bendy nature of it... it is just like an aspirin bottle as I said above; you squeeze & deform the outer ring to disengage the locking ratchet. This type of design cannot last forever, the ratchet teeth will wear and the locking ring will eventually crack

Apeks set out to build the world's lightest reg, and delivered. I guess that's a gimmick in some ways, or at least bragging rights for Apeks... but it is actually useful in a way, unlike say the Status or the ATX 1/2" LP ports both of which have little to no benefit while creating added inconveniences

If owning the world's lightest reg appeals to you, and you do <30m warm water dives when travelling, get a Flight. You can get a spare hose although honestly, how often do hose failures happen? If you want more flexibility, compatability, durability & deep/cold performance, there are plenty of other Apeks models that meet these requirements.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom