Help me identify my atomic Ti2 reg...i can't find any info on it! LOTS of PICTURES!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

big twinn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just purchased this used regulator, Atomic Aquatics Ti2 and after much research i cannot find any information on this particular model. Based on the pictures should i be using this as my primary or octo? the hose seems a little short. ANY information at all on this rig would be great. Its my first regulator purchase so i hope i didn't purchase something i will regret. (i of course plan to survice it before use). Is there a kit made to upgrade this second stage to the specifications of current models? should i upgrade the exhaust outlet or anything at all or is perfect how it is? the exterior of the regulator is somewhat soft, and easily pressed in, im guessing this is the clearing button, but it is unlike any i have used. is this customary of atomic regs?

here are pictures of the unit, any info, input, advice, criticism is MUCH appreciated!

photobucket-2998-1317939609671.jpg

photobucket-10856-1317939710303.jpg

photobucket-12311-1317939632446.jpg

photobucket-14004-1317939586241.jpg

photobucket-2543-1317939562834.jpg

photobucket-10293-1317939542155.jpg

photobucket-9537-1317939519289.jpg

photobucket-9538-1317939500549.jpg

photobucket-2983-1317939043029.jpg

photobucket-2363-1317939476025.jpg

Looks like many of my Atomic Ti2 regs. Yes, the purge button is the soft face on the front. Someone put a ScubaPoro hose protector on it, no big deal. The knob on the side adjusts the Work of Breathing, I think Atomic calls it AFC, Automatic Flow Control. That reg does not have a standard Atomic mouthpiece, which, IMHO is the best production mouthpiece made. It would be far more comfortable with a Second Stage swivel. The LP hose looks like the standard length.

I'd pay about 50 bucks for it used. I pay about $400 used for the complete setup. I get the Monels for 250 or so, and I have a brass set for 200 or so.

What first stage will you put it on? Atomic second stages really work best with the first stage it came with.

should i use this as my primary or octo? Im still looking for an atomic first stage...once i have the money. should i add a larger exhaust port? I Payed 150 for it.

should i use this as my primary or octo? Im still looking for an atomic first stage...once i have the money. should i add a larger exhaust port? I Payed 150 for it.

I personally would sell it, get your money back, and not bother with titanium regulators. If you want an atomic, get a brass/chrome one. That way there will be zero issues when you want to switch between nitrox and air, which many of us do all the time. With decent care, brass regulators last decades, far longer than the plastic parts that are on the reg. Titanium doesn't really do anything except lighten your luggage a bit and your wallet a lot.

You should not start modifying it until you've had a chance to dive it and see if the exhaust bothers you as is. Same thing for the hose length. I suppose the easiest way for you to complete this set at this point would be to buy a complete atomic 1st/2nd stage set and then use either of the 2nd stages for your alternate.

The only reason to get an atomic 1st stage to go with it is that it will simplify service. (And, they are really well made regs) But, for example, if you got a MK25, which is much more commonly available used, you'd have a very similar 1st stage that would perform identically as long as you are not diving in very cold water. There are lots of other choices.

Why is that?

Don't know, but when I put an Atomic second on a AP diaphragm first, I don't get near the performance. Don't know why it wouldn't work on a high performance scubapro piston though. They are designed by the same guys.

Even the Brass Atomic first stages come with titanium second stages. I see that there are a couple of brass first stage with titanium second stage regs on EBAY in the $200 range. I like the titanium first stages because they rarely need service. Only about every 6 or 7 years and 1,000 dives or so.

It is only the second stage that has a Ti inlet tube, he has no first stage (yet). Ti on the second stage is not any big deal. That said, IMHO you paid too much especially as it should be rebuilt, which will run $25+plus parts. At this point I would try to find an Atomic first stage and primary to go with it.

Back
Top Bottom