what is this metal piece?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rooster59

Contributor
Reaction score
International man of mystery picture here: pb-110810-putin-rs.photoblog900.jpg

What is the metal "heat exchanger" looking piece in the middle of the primary hose?

Thanks!

It is the heat exchanger that is included in the Aqua Lung, Legend Glacia.

From their web site:

The Legend Glacia is fitted with three heat exchangers:

•The first completely surrounds the first stage environmental dry chamber
•The second is fitted to the medium pressure hose itself
•The third is in the traditional position adjacent to the second stage casing

Legend Glacia

glacia_2009.jpg

Just to expand on Luis H’s post a little, the Glacia is designed primarily for cold water — that is to prevent freezing. A lot of cooling due to the refrigeration cycle takes place as the cylinder gas expands to ~135 PSI over bottom pressure. The intent of the heat exchanger is to warm the gas to the water temperature to reduce the potential of freezing the second stage. It can work against you if you breathe from it before entering the water in very cold air temperatures. I am a little skeptical about its effectiveness.

So it only works better down under, All regs freeflow if you breath before submerging ice diving, that I have ever dived, except the aqua lung. I have Iced dived for twenty years, now I do it once in awhile, never had a problem with a reg unless it was breathed on surface.

OOP'S My wife's g250 did once in lake superior, superior Minnesota and when we went from to 150' to 50' I turned it back on and we then went back to 126'. Of course that was not my reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom