Converting yoke to DIN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flspy

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I live in South Florida and have my own Nitrox steel 100's. The valves are the type that can convert between yoke and DIN.

I am thinking of having my LDS replace the 1st stages with 300Bar DIN valves since i primarily use my own tanks.

Anyone see a problem with this?

Great idea! Prepare to spend a little though. DIN is much more reliable. If you ever did need to use an AL 80 or something, get yourself a DIN to yoke converter. (fairly inexpensive). That's what I do.

My biggest issue will probably be when I go down to the Keys or to the islands, which will be like less than 2% of my total dives. Believe it or not, there is nowhere with banked Nitrox in the Keys that I have found.

I'll be stuck with rentals when I empty mine out.

i have already done it on mine the paart was about 50 bucks (ebay) and it took me about 2 min to make the change. be sure to keep spare o-rings for the reg..

there are too many tanks with combo valves on them that i dont think you will have a problem. especially when you are talking nitrox, any shop that limits yolk only tanks to those who dive ,psudo tech, nitrox has a problem. and then there is always the yolk adaptor. also the din to yolk tank adaptor is a good thing to have.

My biggest issue will probably be when I go down to the Keys or to the islands, which will be like less than 2% of my total dives. Believe it or not, there is nowhere with banked Nitrox in the Keys that I have found.

I'll be stuck with rentals when I empty mine out.

mispost

I wouldn't bother either unless you're diving in restricted spaces where the yoke (not yolk!) knob is an entanglement hazard. The DIN connection is not "much more reliable" because, as bubbletrouble pointed out, modern yoke connections are very reliable. They tend to get a bad rap because you see them on rental tanks all the time; and you do see a few knackered up valves with pretty crispy o-rings. But that's cause they're rentals, not yoke. (Except the o-rings which are easily replaced on the boat) If they used all DIN tanks at a resort like, for example, Cozumel, I'm sure you'd see some pretty scary threads in those valves, some knocked out of round, etc. and they would be about the same trouble as the current yoke tanks are, maybe more because you'd be able to screw up (literally..) your reg's DIN fitting. As it stands, no matter how bad a rental yoke valve is, it won't damage your reg.

If you're dying to use your tanks as DIN, why not use this as a perfect excuse to buy a new regulator? I've succumbed for far less of a legitimate reason, and you could explain it away by saying that either A)you don't want to alter your current regs (okay, that's pretty dumb) or B) The cost of replacing the yoke is almost half the cost of a new 1st stage. (That could be sort-of true!)

DIN is more reliable because the o-ring between the tank valve and the first stage is enclosed within the tank valve. If the first stage gets bumped or kicked during the dive, there is much less chance of the o-ring being compromised on a DIN vs. yoke. Yoke connections are reliable. DIN is more reliable. Safe diving is all about putting all the odds in your favor whenever possible.

I keep separate din regs for my HP tanks and yoke regs for all other applications. Main reason I did that is I had a few din connectors and decided I might as well use them. I have never had a tank valve o-ring blow. Just plenty of leakers on rental tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom