Which Reg Should I Buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HJeffreyM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've had a few free flow problems with my current reg and have not been able to resolve the problem with my dive shop to my satisfaction. Since I am no longer confident in this reg, I've decided to simply buy a new one. Soooo...here's the question:

I am a warm water diver with no intention of ever using the reg in water temperatures <68F.
I am not a tech diver. I have no intention of using the reg at depths >130fsw.
I use a weight integrated BC.
I want a reg (1st & 2nd stage primary) that is very reliable and will last a long time.
I will also buy a matching Octo.
$$ is not really a problem. I want the best for the conditions stated above.

Ok folks...have at it. I need a new reg! Which one should I buy?

Happy diving!

If you want high performance, great reliability and good price, (and who doesn't?) take a good look at the Edge and HOG regulators.

What brands of regs does the best local dive shop sell?
What brands of regs does the best local reg repair guy work on?
Assuming proper maintenance, breathing performance for a reg probably has more to do with the guy who last overhauled/tuned it.

If you'll be primarily traveling to dive, you should look at one of the "travel regs" on the market. They're small, lightweight, and convenient to pack.
Consider using lightweight, braided hoses for your LP inflater hose and the hoses to your octo and primary.

What are you gonna do with your next simple problem

During diving using equipment you know nothing about

Well right for you sounds tricky, not really enough info :) . I have had a Sherwood Maximus for about 10 years that I have been pretty happy with, decent under arm design. All regs can free flow though, if they are adjustable you just Learn what works for comfort and clip them right so thye can't flow if you swim with a snorkel. I prefer a air2 type device for my backup... Good luck.

Think long term with every gear purchase. Buy nice or buy twice. You haven&#8217;t told us what reg you currently have that is giving you a problem. Maybe you have a great reg but the LDS did not service it correctly.

On your new purchase
Are you going to buy local or online?
Is there another LDS?
Think about where you will service the new reg.

Depending if local or online&#8230;
Are you ok sending the reg out for service if the LDS can&#8217;t get parts or service?
Do you need to find a new LDS to provide service?

Think about not getting the matching octo but getting another second stage to match the first.

Recently on a dive in Florida where a relatively new diver had the AL Titan and &#8220;matching&#8221; octo recently descended in about 100&#8217; of water with a 130 CF cylinder. The octo free flowed and he could not bang it closed. When I got over to him I was able to stop the free flow and he had to thumb the dive as he became low on air.

The point being, spend as much as you can spend comfortably on good equipment. If you look at the higher performing regulators they all breathe very good with minor difference, bells and whistles and everyone will tell you this one is better than the next. It&#8217;s like getting into the argument is Mercedes better than BMW or Jaguar? We are not talking about Ford Focus vs. well another crappy GM car!

First, get a new dive shop. ANY reg should be adjustable to not freeflow. Then buy a decent brand that your new dive shop is experienced in doing service on.

First, get a new dive shop. ANY reg should be adjustable to not freeflow. Then buy a decent brand that your new dive shop is experienced in doing service on.

Just had mine set to "midrange" IP and asked that the secondaries be matched to this for easy breathing. Picked them up and asked "what do I owe you?" Answer, "Nothing." "Your regs are all in recent service, (by my LDS) this is just a seasonal adjustment."

Anything with Atomic Aquatics on the purge cover. (you didn't specify a budget..)

They're lightweight, have a 2 year service interval and both of mine (B1 & T2) have been bulletproof for about a decade. Also the T2X is one of the the lightest on the market.

Assuming you have a local dealer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom