Noob entering room, Need to select equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highflier

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all, Just signed up to try and get some unbiased recommendations on some gear that would be good for me. So first a little about myself.

My wife and I are Padi certified, 5+ years now, we have only done about a dozen dives mostly cause of opportunities. Well we are now in the process of relocating to the Florida keys, Plenty of good opportunities down there. My wife does not like the idea of going real deep, Thus most of the time we will be diving a reef 30 ft depth or less, We already have a boat down there, In fact the spots she wants to dive, we have already snorkled and are typically 15' deep. I would rather take the air down with me instead of sufaceing to get a fresh breath.

All that said, I am sure that I will want to do a dive with a dive boat from time to time that may go as deep as 100' (future stuff)

Right now we have masks, Snorkle, fins, and 1 dive computer. (watch style)

Money is a concern, but safety is a must! all that said, I am totally clueless on what I should budget and what I should get. My instructor did not like BCD's with weights built in, But with our boat it will be very hard to get on with gear, therfore we will probably strip it off in the water, seems like the weights in the BCD would be a nice convience, and comfortable also.

Would anybody care to advise me what gear they think would be a good starting point.

I don't plan on buying a tank, Those are cheap to rent :)

BCD, REG, etc are on the list to purchase. (No pony tank for now, but a extra second stage for the buddy is in the plans

Highflier

For affordable, high quality regs I would look at the edge or hog line (same company). Edge is geared more towards the recreational market, while hog is geared more towards the tech market. I have a set of hog regs and they are absolutely brilliant. Here is a link to the edge recreational reg set: EDGE Epic II Regulator Set w/Octopus - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL . The only thing you would need is an SPG and depth gauge (although if you both have computers, just an SPG, which can be had for fairly cheap). Hope that helps!

Thanks for the replies, will check out links

In the keys you really do not need the wetsuits, but we have them, I just think of them as the jetski wetsuits, I have a shorty and full length set. My wife has shorty that she does not use, and then has a shark skin (thin suit) that is long, she likes that cause it is so comfy.

In summer the water temp is around 87 degrees, right now it is around 77 degress.

Highflier

And if you pair either BC with an Epic or HOG reg with your choice of gauges shipping will be on me!
The Freedom BC is normally 289.99 now 199.00 and the Stealth 2's regular price is 369.99 now 225.00.

These are new BC's with full warranty. They are 2011 models and with some new items coming for 2012 you can really save some cash. For example pair the Freedom with the Epic Cold Set at 419.99 and a compact SPG since you have a computer (you should also get another as sharing a computer is not a wise choice) at 84.99 and you are looking at 703.98 each for a full set of gear that will last you many years.

Choose the Stealth 2 and add $26.00 to the total price.

I have sold several of the Stealth's and one Freedom. My usual customers are often looking for BPW's and I can make a package for you there as well. But for the type of dives and amount of them you indicate I'd go for the BC's for ease of use, the integrated weights that does make getting on the boat a bit easier, and of course the price!

The Epic regs are great breathers and are lightweight with the braided EdgeFlex hoses that are included. Shoot me a PM or email me to go over your options in detail. I answer questions 7 days a week!

Just as an aside the Epic reg is balanced diaphrgm sealed type with a fully adjustable balanced second stage and balanced octo with venturi switch. Best part is the rebuild interval is every two years vs every year. We recommend an annual inspection at 1 year but I only charge 25 plus shipping ($10) for that. Rebuild would run you around 100 bucks total. So your actual annual service cost on it works out to 65 a year including kits. Regs carry a lifetime warranty on non user serviceable parts and 3 years on hoses. All Epic sets include a free reg bag. Want a 3 guage console? Can do but really not needed. Save your cash there and get wrist compasses. Choose the 2 gauge (SPG and depth) for 45.00 more and get everything for under $750 each! One of you will still need a computer or watch (under $50 at Walmart! Casio G shock rated to 200 meters) and use tables. My recommendation for new divers as you want to stay conservative until you have your basic skills down. Then look for another computer.

I am aware of the single computer is a issue. I would use dive tables, The computer was just to make the wife feel safer, as she found the dive charts a little confusing after not diving for a year or so.

I think I would want Pressure and depth gauges on both sets.

Still looking at links that are coming in.

Highflier

Been doing more reading, I can tell you that any water colder then 50 degrees... well I will not be in it. Both wife and me hate the cold that is why we are moving so far south.

highflier

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom