Questions about buying hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanshin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm trying to buy a 7ft (210cm) and a 22" (56cm) hoses.

A - Are they all compatible? (I see in certain hoses that they specify "for Mares regulator" or "9/16"F- 3/8"M" (which I suspect is what I should match with my reg).
B - Is it normal that only one brand (miflex) has 22" hoses in an internet store that's otherwise filled with an extensive range of options?
C - Why are there such differences in price between a "best divers" hose and a, "apeks" hose? (apeks costs about twice) Can a hose be twice as good as another?

A - Are they all compatible? (I see in certain hoses that they specify "for Mares regulator" or "9/16"F- 3/8"M" (which I suspect is what I should match with my reg).

Others will be able to answer more specifically, I'm sure, but my impression is that most regs use a standard fitting, but there are a few that use special/different ones. What reg do you have?

B - Is it normal that only one brand (miflex) has 22" hoses in an internet store that's otherwise filled with an extensive range of options?

I did not shop widely, but I also found a 22" rubber hose at the first place I looked (maybe just lucky?), which was Dive Gear Express. I bought it online and had it shipped to me. No problems at all and I even had them ship to my dive-trip lodging. I've been perfectly happy with the hose (I also bought two other hoses from them, a 5' and a 26").

Blue Sparkle

Others will be able to answer more specifically, I'm sure, but my impression is that most regs use a standard fitting, but there are a few that use special/different ones. What reg do you have?
A sub gear cayman.

I did not shop widely, but I also found a 22" rubber hose at the first place I looked (maybe just lucky?), which was Dive Gear Express.
Oh, I have no problem with that particular brand (I don't have any experience nor knowledge of brands) I'm just surprised that something as simple as a 22" hose has only one possible choice in a shop that offers about ten different brands to buy 7ft hoses.

Years ago 22"-24" LP hoses were scarce and pretty much custom.......found that Scubapro/Tusa Air 2 hoses were a good source....have to be the ones with the removable adapter.
Sherwood Shadow was another source.
Nowadays they're readily available......you want the standard 3/8".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom