Best 1st/2nd for $150 or less?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rcotten

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been looking at gear for weeks now and my head is spinning from all the info. So I thought I would see what the community thought. I'm looking for two sets of 1st/2nd for around $150 each. I just need something new that can be serviced and maintained. I use to dive about ten years ago and my son discovered diving at scouts. So I got him certified and have a new dive buddy; Unfortunately, my first stages and seconds were too old to be serviced.

I have found the following that I am considering:

Sea elite. Rx330
Scubamax rg1001
Cressi. Sub xs2
Mares Rover s2
Mares Ranger 12

Thank you,

Ray

The cressi sub is good, we have a used Scuba Pro D400 that is fully serviced and can be servied for $179. Another one to look at is the Oceanic Alpha 8.

The HOG D1 is $159 (first) $109 (second) which averages out. Awesome regulator.
I think the OP is looking for one 1st stage + one 2nd stage for $150.
A HOG D1 package is about $100 too expensive.

If the OP really wants to get a 1st stage + 2nd stage for $150, the only way he's going to be able to get a quality reg is to shop around for a used one that's just been overhauled. Heck, overhaul costs alone on a used reg setup could be $50-$130. Figure that into the cost of any used reg you are considering buying.

I think the OP is looking for one 1st stage + one 2nd stage for $150.
A HOG D1 package is about $100 too expensive.

If the OP really wants to get a 1st stage + 2nd stage for $150, the only way he's going to be able to get a quality reg is to shop around for a used one that's just been overhauled. Heck, overhaul costs alone on a used reg setup could be $50-$130. Figure that into the cost of any used reg you are considering buying.

Ah, in that case I agree. The only way to find a quality reg at that price point is used.

If the OP really wants to get a 1st stage + 2nd stage for $150, the only way he's going to be able to get a quality reg is to shop around for a used one that's just been overhauled.

I did that and got a really nice reg set that I am still really happy with a year-and-a-half later (although it was more than $150 and used, so does not really match the OP's quest).

I Unfortunately, my first stages and seconds were too old to be serviced.

Sorry to get off your topic, but I'm curious what first stages and seconds you have that are too old to be serviced. Not challenging that, as I don't know enough about regs to do so, and you very well may - but I'm curious because I read a lot of reg threads where the experts here know a lot about older regs and whether or not they can be serviced (some shops seem to condemn regs unnecessarily).

Sorry to get off your topic, but I'm curious what first stages and seconds you have that are too old to be serviced. Not challenging that, as I don't know enough about regs to do so, and you very well may - but I'm curious because I read a lot of reg threads where the experts here know a lot about older regs and whether or not they can be serviced (some shops seem to condemn regs unnecessarily).
This is a good point. If the OP has a Scubapro or Aqualung/U.S. Divers reg, then there's a good chance that parts are still available for an overhaul. On the other hand, some reg companies are no longer in existence. For example, Dacor closed down, so reg parts for Dacor regs aren't being made anymore.

My BS detector goes off when the reason for not servicing a reg is that it's "too old." Age of the reg shouldn't really matter. Parts availability does.
Sometimes divers are told that the reg is "too old" for one of two reasons: (1) the dive shop doesn't service the brand/model of the reg or (2) the dive shop wants to "encourage" the diver to buy a new reg.

Rcotten,
My first glance at your list yielded "none of the above". But, if you absolutely have to pick from that list I would choose the Mares Ranger 12 (although I am not really a fan of Mares equipment), which I believe is the ageless MR-12 first stage with a simple downstream second. Agreeing with Bubble, I would check further to see if what your shop says about your regs being unservicable is true.

Of the list, it would be the Mares Ranger 12. The first stage appears to be a MR-12 version which is a solid reg and if you like, you could add a better (HOG maybe) second stage as your primary, using the included reg as your octo, you are going to need an octo anyway.
However first off, why not let us know what your old reg is. A 10yo reg is just barely broke in and unless it's a real off brand, odds are it can be repaired. There are shops who would rather BS a customer into a new reg rather than honestly evaluate the regs the customer has.

Thanks for the info so far... My original gear I bought used in the 90's. It was a tusa liberator set and a mares mr3 set. I sent them off to discount divers to be serviced. I was told that parts were hard to come by and instead of the $79ea set it would be $129ea and that both first stages needed a total rebuild. The second stages and gauges all checked out fine and they bench tested them.I figured it was cheaper and smarter to buy new 1st/2nd combo and reuse the Octo and gauges. I donated the old first stages to discount divers for parts as I didn't think they were worth anything.I hope that wasn't a mistake now that I'm reading some of these replies.Ray

Back
Top Bottom