XTX20/50 - crimped the outside case o-rings on the valve spindle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chile7236

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
was swapping parts between my XTX50 2nd and XTX20 2nd stages...forgot to put the outer o-rings back outside and crimped them a bit when reassembling...i do plan to replace them. can those o-rings on the outside (of the blanking piece) of the 2nd stage be replaced with generics (which seems workable) or do i NEED to buy an apeks rebuild kit to get them?

You had probably found out that both regs are identical except on the heat exchanger and the control knob.

All Apeks O-rings are made from EPDM which is compatible with Nitrox.
The generic one is more than likely made from nitrile.

1. Replace it with genuine Apeks and keep the rest as spare.
2. Get a generic replacement. Viton would be a good substitute.

There are two O-rings which are outside the casing. O-ring (AP1267) is sitting between the case and the heat exchanger. The other one is O-ring (AP1438) which is coupled with the Venturi Lever. There is another AP1267 on the valve spindle next to the spring pin.

I use genuine Apeks kit to service my regs but keep various generic nitrile O-ring just in case.

yes to them both being identical...and surprisingly easy to disassemble/reassemble, minus my stupidity with the outer o-rings. now, i need to get an apeks kit. thank you.

Are you talking about the o rings that fit in the grooves on the barrel or the one that goes between the barrel and locking nut.....not that it matters as all three have the job of preventing leaks into the case.
I find that a little lube on the case (and not the o rings) helps the barrel slip in easily.

I don't have the sizes but I would have no qualms in using generic.

yup, those are the ones...the part #'s are right.

Apeks (AP0219) 2nd stage kit has 10 O-rings and a rubber seating.
The rubber seating(AP2034) is the most tricky to obtain. The rest is easy.
A spare rubber seating is good to have when travelling. It is the wear and tear of this seat that usually cause slight leaking.
I normally turn the adjustment knob completely out during storage.

I do the same with my adjustment knobs but our LDS has turns them back in :(

Sent from my SC-02C using Tapatalk

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom