Adjusting Aqualung Legend Second Stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zeke XA3

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Queensland - Australia - Most of the time
# of dives
5000 - ∞
For any experienced A/L techs out there.

Im having trouble getting a 2nd Stage Legend adjusted right. Ive followed instructions to the letter and the result is this,

When the adjustment knob is more than half way out, the reg free flows, if i screw in the crown using an in-line adjustment tool to prevent free flow then the lever drops so low you cannot purge.

So currently it is set so that you need the adjustment knob just over half way in to stop freeflow but give a good strong purge and inhalation, however, when the venturi level is on + it will not freeflow on purge.

What could i have got wrong. I have disassembled and re assembled twice to check all fittings and O-rings. All are new as part of a service. The 1st stage is fine and has been check independently and has a IP of 9.5.............

The Legend is very similar with Apeks.
For Apeks the adjusment knob should be fully out and the lever should be just below the rim with less tham 1mm free play. The reg should be free flow slightly then. Turn your adjustment knob in by 1 full turn to stop the free flow.
The crown is for setting the height of the lever ONLY.

I hope this would help.

Check the seat again..... could be faulty.
Is the spring weak?
Shuttle the right way up and engaging properly with the lever?

You can download the maintenance/repair manual from Frogkick.com [free].....It has good pics and description of adjustments w/specs......

Centrals - So that is what it does know so i think it must be pretty close to correct, i just dont like the free flowing bit! Fishpie - Check the seat again - Looks fine Is the spring weak - cant really tell this without another one to compare but worked fine before service Shuttle the right way up and engaging properly with the lever? - Yup , checked this one right away! J2S - I have the official service manual ( I am a level 2 tech) and that link leads to an odd site that i cant see having reg manuals on!

If you removed the shuttle and are reusing the old seat rather than replacing it it is possible that the wear groove is in a different position and the volcano oriface isn't seating properly.
Blocked air tube to balance chamber?
Leak in the balance chamber?
Are you certain the IP is good?

Centrals - So that is what it does know so i think it must be pretty close to correct, i just dont like the free flowing bit!
For a properly turned Apeks 2nd stage, a slight free flow is NORMAL when the lever is set correctly and the adjustment knob is fully out. You should be able to stop the free flow by turning the knob by NO more than one full turn otherwise you would have to reset the lever again.
I do not like the idea of free flow as well so I deliberately set the lever a little lower so even with the adjustment knob is fully out, the reg does not free flow. But I make sure that when I "turn the adjustment knob completely in clockwise, and depress the 2nd stage purge to ensure that an adequate volume of air needed to clear the second stage flows through the mouthpiece".

Cool, so sounds like i have got it just right, the owner of the regs loves how they breath now so guess all is good!Thanks for the advice though guys, now i can add one Legend to the the list of 50 Calypsos's ive serviced!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom