Are these used Apeks / Conshelf regs any good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

troyce1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was looking to most likely pickup a new Edge Epic setup, however, with the new Edge regs coming out soon, I am looking at getting a used reg potentially for now to save a bit of money, and then potentially buy a second reg set and give my wife this one (since she dives less) or give her the new one so she has the new toys :)

I came across the following used gear setups, which seem attractive from the research I've been doing they seem like durable gear. I was looking for something that is "cold water " rated it seems all of these are 50F and above. While I don't plan on doing much cold water diving I am considering getting my advanced cert which we will prob have to do in the local quarry, as well Ill probably do 2-4 dives a year in the quarry, just to stay fresh. I've been trying to figure out if the regs can be converted to Cold Water but I haven't been able to find that info, however, it does appear they are all environmentally sealed

I wanted to find out what the opinions were on the gear below. It seems to be the best combo of value/quality, however, this will also be my first set of regs and I'm learing TONS as I do my research.
I don't want to just waste my money, so I figured I would post what I'm looking at to get the reviews of more experienced divesrs

Apeks D2 primary TX 50 Adjustible Mouthpiece & Octo
About $150

APEKS AT20 first & second stage and ATX40,
This set is brand new and never been used which seems like a steal, however still trying to figure out if it can be cold water converted.
About $200

US Divers Conshelf 21 Reg 1st and 2nd, U.S. Divers Safe 2nd I can get an older SPG & Depth thrown in also. I have a dive computer but, backups are good I guess.
About $140

CONSHELF SE2 REGULATOR 1st 2nd and Octo
About $130

All gear has been serviced recently, obviously I will still have to have it checked out.

Thoughts? Any input is appreciated.

You forgot to mention what the regs comes with. Do they include hoses (Of the right lengths), SPG's or any other accessories? If not, a package deal with HOG regs might be a better deal from the get go. If it is a numbers game run the numbers for the regs you are looking at with all hoses and an SPG, then a ready to use reg set and see for yourself.

Personally I would buy a HOG cold water first stage, and two of their primary second stages with a hogarthian hose setup, and be done with it.
HOG Gear D1 Singles Regulator Package w/ SPG

Conshelf 21/SE2/SE3/22's (SEA's and Cousteau's too) are easily picked up on ebay for $80 to $150 for a full set and make for a very reliable and durable piece of kit.
The 1st stages can have the Titan cold water kit installed but would probably cost almost as much as the whole set did to begin with.......you could look for the "supreme" model that has its original oil filled cap.
The plastic USD 2nds (except for the Arctic) don't have any specific cold water mods.

There isn't an Apeks D2....did you mean DS4 or DST, which are Dry Sealed and great cold water 1st stages.
The AT20 refers to the 2nd stage and is usually coupled with a US4 or UST (unsealed 1st stage)....the ATX40 2nd has a slip on heat sink.
The unsealed Apeks are easily....though again quite expensively....converted to sealed models.

How cold is cold?.........all your choices are diaphragm anyway and shouldn't have a problem down to the mid 40's without any fiddling.

$200 is a good price foe a new Apeks 3 stage kit and would be my 1st choice....if I had to have the cold water kit then I'd think about the TX50 if it had the sealed 1st stage and see if I couldn't talk the price down a bit since it is going to be at least 12 plus years old.

Last edited:
+1 for the Apex: the second stages are balanced barrel poppet designs and that makes a big difference.
The USD 1st stages are good, but the 2nd's are non descript.

@Peter_C all the regs come with hoses. The one mentioned comes with a SPG. but the others do not.

I am not sure about hose length I've only ever used rental/shop gear so it had whatever hoses were on there.

What length do most people have on?

I don't know why we are all so hard on the USD plastic 2nds, myself included.
They breathe as well as a Kirby Morgan Superflow.....which is really what they are minus the adjustment knob.....and I haven't heard any complaints about them.
I've never "had" to change a seat in one because it was worn....even ones 40 years old.
Yes, they're plastic, and the parallel bar faceplate occasionally cracked and the early (non neon) yellow ones cracked where the volcano was pressed in the case but overall they're a damn fine reg.

@Fishpie - yea mid 40's would be about it. I looked at our local quarry temps and even the year round at 80 Ft doesnt get much below 45F or so, so maybe I will be fine.

What would be the concern against sealed/vs unsealed?

I thought all diaphram 1st stages were sealed.... this regulator research is a CRASH COURSE & making my head spin! :shocked2:

.....they are. That's why they are considered better for cold water.
The environmental seal adds a second diaphragm.

@Fishpie - you were right the TX50 &Aqualung octo has a DST first stage

Would you consider the New set AT20/ATX40 a better deal just because they are new (never used) @$200 , even though the 1st stage is unsealed?

Than the sealed older version
TX50/Aqualung
@ $140?
Still waiting Confirmation of first stage model on the AT20/ATX40, but since its "new" I would be surprised if it was anything other than the standard unsealed either UST or US4 that it comes with.

Thanks again guys for all the input above, I am very appreciative.

If the brand new AT20 set(UST + AT20 + ATX40 ie. one 1st stage and two 2nd stages) is selling for around US$200.00 in HK, I will get it without hesitation even without any hoses.

DST and UST are identical except the dry seal.
Make sure you rinse the the exposed part of the UST thoroughly especially the big spring which you can see through the opening at the bottom before storage.

Apeks calls the environemental sealed diagraphm as "hydrostatic" and suggested another function under water. Check it out on apeks.co.uk for more information. But if you are using the reg for recreational diving then it should be fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom