Problue Regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
A buddy of mine has been looking for regulators and has told me a lot of people recommend the edge brand for economical yet reliable regulators. I was originally (and still am) looking at buying used gear since I do not have much money to spend. He suggested I might come here to get some additional research and opinions.

I looked into a local Edge shop who was recommended on here various times, Piranha Dive Mfg. Piranha Dive Mfg. they carried the edge gear
but it is still a bit more than I had really anticipated spending. The Piranha shop sold a brand of regulator ProBlue. The owner spoke highly of them as well, and said they are made by the same manufacturers that make alot of other regs and rebrand them. He even said if I got them and did not like them I could credit them in for any other gear he has no problem. That seemed like a pretty strong endorsement and warranty, especially considering the shop is mentioned around the forum a bit.

I am wondering what direct experience people on here have with them. Ive went through a lot of the posts It seems there are alot of conflicting opinions as to you can't buy good used regs, or have to be in a certain price range to get a "good" regulator while others stand by older used regs and so on.

Anyone?

I have bought some items form Piranha and they have treated me great, that said there are some issues with the regs he sells that you need to be aware of. Operationally they should be fine, the problem comes when it's time to have them serviced which you will want to do on some regular basis.....how often is a major debate but in any case sooner or later you will want/need service and that is where the rub comes in. Where are you going to get them serviced? Most dive shops will not service any brand they do not sell so odds are you will have to ship it off for service if you can find someone that will service them. This is true of both the Problue and HOG/Edge although you will find a few more shops that service them. Traveling with then, odds are you will not find a repair shop if you need one, just something to consider.

Thanks for the tip. That is something to consider. I asked them about it and they said they could recommend several places to send them to, but I am wondering if that will be a pain.

I also have been reading about Subgear Cayman and Bonaire regulators which look like they are made by ScubaPro but I can't find any package deals on them for 1st, 2nd and backup. T
The reviews Ive read are awesome, and I would think since they are owned by ScubaPro they would be easy to service in the US?

Scubastore.com has the 1st and 2nd for sale for $260+$20 shipping, that seems like a great deal? Can't find many reviews of these regulators here on the forum though.

Never heard of them until now. Doing a little research, looks like its another company purchased by johnson outdoors who also bought SP a while back. Odds are SP dealer will not service them but you never know until you ask. Just my opinion but I still suggest you find a better know brand. Here is a possibility Zeagle Envoy Rezort Regulator discounts on sale Zeagle Scubatoys is well respected as is Zeagle and there are a lot of Zeagle dealers around.

SubGear is a scubapro line ..created to fit a price point market.Any scubapro dealer can service it.

If you want to save money, buying used, with guidance, is absolutely the least expensive way to get a quality reg. I'd look for a MK5 or MK10 with a 109 (metal case) 2nd stage, or possibly a G250 or D300 2nd stage. You should be able to find one of those combinations for under $100, and you'll have a classic regulator that has been a mainstay of professional divers for decades. Regulators simply have not improved significantly; that's why there's so much hype associated with their sale. They are also designed to be completely rebuilt and last a lifetime if maintained well.

It is true that getting the reg serviced well is very important, and is an issue regardless of what reg you end up buying.

Thanks for the tip. That is something to consider. I asked them about it and they said they could recommend several places to send them to, but I am wondering if that will be a pain.

I also have been reading about Subgear Cayman and Bonaire regulators which look like they are made by ScubaPro but I can't find any package deals on them for 1st, 2nd and backup. T
The reviews Ive read are awesome, and I would think since they are owned by ScubaPro they would be easy to service in the US?

Scubastore.com has the 1st and 2nd for sale for $260+$20 shipping, that seems like a great deal? Can't find many reviews of these regulators here on the forum though.

Sending regs to be serviced can be both a pain and expensive. I would recommend you buy a reg you can get serviced locally and if you travel dive one that has a wide network i.e Aqualung or Scubapro.

If you can do $250, LeisurePro has the Aeris AT400 Ion on sale for $250. It's a great reg, scored perfect in some breathing tests a couple of years ago. I dive the version that has the swivel and can't tell enough people about it, lol.

Keep in mind that even if you find a great deal on a first and second, you still need an Octo and spg. An Edge setup comes with the Octo and reg bag. Talk to some of the retailers, they may be able to work with you on price. What's advertised isn't always as low as they can go. If not Piranha(who I've purchased from in the past), maybe Jim Lapenta (who I've also purchased from), or DRIS(who I've also purchased from). All three will offer good customer service.

Scubapro bought the SubGear brand, then they rebrand their own mid range regs and sell them at a lower price, less the free part for life deal. If the Cayman is in your price range, go for it: basically, it's a Mk11 and a S600 with a slightly different cover.

Performance-wise, a French magazine did a test recently and reported they think SP slightly de-tuned the SG brand so they fare just a tad less well on the breathing machine than the higher end SP branded regs.
:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom