US Divers Twin Hose "Mentor" Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wolfman

New
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information about a US Divers twin hose regulator called "the Mentor"? It is, I am told, used by the US Navy to train divers before going to rebreathers. It is supposed to be ideal for underwater photography.

"Historical Diver" magazine did an article on the Mentor (Volume 11, Issue 1, Number 34, see http://hds.org/) The Navy bought 200 of them and paid $995 apiece. It is a balanced two-stage regulator with an externally adjusted LP seat. See the attached photo in the following post.

You can read more about double hose regulators at:
http://www.vintagescubasupply.com/

AquaLung Mentor (See attached).

I just found this thread, and was wondering what the Mentor looked like. Thanks for the parts diagram, it's really informative.

What has been created is a blend of the best of the Royal Aquamaster, AMF Voit Trieste, and the Sportsways Hydro-Twin. It looks very nice, and has a modified Hope-Page type mouthpiece system (plastic rather than rubber, with screw-on adjustments for the non-return and hose). Wow! This regulator looks like it will last a very long time, and parts will not wear out (a problem with the previous USD Aquamaster and Royal Aquamaster). It has a mushroom valve for the case, and not a flutter valve. These were vulnerable to wearing out, but on the Snark III, Healthways Scuba and Sportsways Hydro-Twin, the mushroom valve proved its longevity. It has low and high pressure ports to boot!

It will be interesting to see whether it is ever offered on the civilian market. If so, I think some underwater photographers would be interested.

SeaRat

It will be interesting to see whether it is ever offered on the civilian market. If so, I think some underwater photographers would be interested.
At almost a grand, the price tag might scare off all but the dedicated.
The Snark III was retailing at almost $600 when it went out of production about 4 years ago though, & that one was popular with the shutterbugs.

I would be more than happy to purchase one if they become available on the consumer market.

Long live the double hose regulator!

Greg

Greg Barlow:
I would be more than happy to purchase one if they become available on the consumer market.

Greg

I would like to see it offered to the civilian market simply because it represents our heritage--it's where scuba diving originated. Having at least one model available would increase the range of diving experiences, and provide the user with an option other than fixing up a used regulator, and possibly diving an unsafe used two-hose regulators (there were some of those out there, either because of breathing resistance or deterioration over the years). What better company to keep this traditional regulator going than US Divers (Aqualung).

SeaRat

Greg Barlow:

Greg
Me Too. I want one.
Long live the double hose regulator

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom