Reg servicing and SPG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ferris213

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
When performing a full reg service, is it a normal process to remove the SPG from its hose for any reason? Possibly to replace the o rings on the spool?

Thanks.

the spg spool is arguably the most common failure point for scuba gear with the power inflator being a very close second.

Agree, I always carry a spare spool or two, no reason to miss a dive over an easily replaceable $2 part. Ditto an inflator assembly when diving local, travel diving I carry O rings.

Thanks,

The reason for the question is I had my regs serviced recently. I then got a new high pressure hose and swapped it out myself. When I removed the spg there was salt water in the end of the hose and on the spool.

I have done one dive since the service and am positive I didn't get any water in the first stage. (I had been careless with drying tank valves before fitting the first stage in the past)

The spg had clearly not been removed by the service tech and I'm wondering if it should have been. Sounds like I might need to have a chat with him about it.

I don't want to have an awkward conversation without knowing what is normally expected from this type of service.

Thanks again for the fast responses.

What does this failure look like? Air leaking from the fitting?

Yep, small bubbles coming from the spg/hose connection. Many times you can slow or stop it momentarily by moving the spg around but it's time to replace the oring.

Ferris, if the water was on the outside surface of the spool but inside the fitting that is normal, one dive and it gets wet. That side of the fitting- basically the area between the orings is not sealed. The area between the orings, both on the spg and the hose end is the one place I do pack with lube fairly heavily, trying to keep as much water as I can out and as a coating on the parts to prevent corrosion.

the water was on the outside surface of the spool but inside the fitting that is normal

Yes, that's where the water was. Good to know it's ok. I realise now the spool is what allows the fitting to swivel, and remain airtight.

Thanks for the explanation, I think I'll try get a few spares to keep just in case.

The spg had clearly not been removed by the service tech and I'm wondering if it should have been. Sounds like I might need to have a chat with him about it.

I don't want to have an awkward conversation without knowing what is normally expected from this type of service.
Ferris, if the water was on the outside surface of the spool but inside the fitting that is normal, one dive and it gets wet. That side of the fitting- basically the area between the orings is not sealed. The area between the orings, both on the spg and the hose end is the one place I do pack with lube fairly heavily, trying to keep as much water as I can out and as a coating on the parts to prevent corrosion.
@ferris213: At my local dive shop, as part of the reg setup servicing, the reg tech removes the SPG, inspects the HP spool, cleans or replaces the HP spool (depending on the condition of the spool; a new one should only cost a few bucks), replaces the o-rings on the spool, lubes it generously, and then reattaches the HP hose to the SPG. The gauge then gets a cursory test for functionality and is submerged in some water while pressurized to check for any leaks.

By all means, you should talk to your local reg tech about what was included in the servicing. You paid for it, so I don't think it should be an awkward conversation at all. Just ask nicely.

FWIW, herman gave a nice explanation of what is and isn't sealed off from water exposure at the SPG-HP hose attachment point.

Yes, that's where the water was. Good to know it's ok. I realise now the spool is what allows the fitting to swivel, and remain airtight.

Thanks for the explanation, I think I'll try get a few spares to keep just in case.

I would not say it is OK. Over time and repeated exposures, that SW trapped in the connection will result in the build-up of deposits that may make it difficult or impossible to remove the spool leaving you unable to replace a leaking spool O-ring. The solution is lots of fresh water soaking to draw out the SW. I soak my regs for 8 to 24 hours after a SW trip

I agree awap but corrosion is going to happen during the dive as well, not as much as it setting but it happens and tends to build up. The best solution I can come up with is to heavily lube the area to act as a barrier to the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom