Oceanic Alpha 8 SP5 DVT Piston Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The SP5 is a simple unbalanced piston first stage, similar to the AL Calypso or the Scubapro MK 2. The Alpha 8 second stage is a basic unbalanced second. It will serve you well as an entry level and later as a pony bottle reg.

Personally, I would spend a few dollars more and get the CDX5, which is a balanced diaphragm first stage, particularly if you can find one WITHOUT the DVT.

Last edited:
The basic reg is very sound with a couple of caveats.....the DVT is a waste of space and the soft purge cover has a tendency to crumble and fall apart if not kept in climate controlled storage.

i am looking to buy my first regulator and i want to know if there is any problem with the Oceanic Alpha 8 SP5 DVT Piston Regulator.

Very reliable, super simple to work on and CHEAP repair kits. The DVT is just an option on the yoke retainer (part that connects to the tank valve) and can be ordered with or with out it. See picture. DVT may be a gimmick but its super simple and almost nothing can fail in it- look at the schematic, it’s a spring and a piece of plastic. No excuse for improper care of a regulator for sure, but not a horrible feature by any means

Attachments

• dvt.jpg
    dvt.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 2,155
Several divers in my family have the DVT regs, including one Alpha 8. They have never had any problems with them. One of the DVT regs sometimes makes a sort of pinging sound that I have been told is related to the DVT thing, but it has never bothered anyone enough to fix it or replace it. The others, including the Alpha 8 don't make the sound.

I suppose it is a gimmick at some level, but for all I know, they work as advertised. If we only bought dive gear that had no gimmicks, we would not have much gear. If the DVT might keep salt spray out of the reg on a boat or protect the reg from an inadvertent water dunk without the cap in place, or just as a backup to the rubber cap, then perhaps they are worthwhile. They can always be removed if you really don't like them.

FWIW, some of the Oceanic regs I just mentioned are about 5 years old. I guess they are in "climate controlled" storage since they are kept in a basement or an apartment closet, and none have had any problems with a crumbling purge cover. Perhaps if they were kept outside or in a storage shed or the trunk of a car or something they would have had a problem, I don't know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom