Time to dump the Dacor, and what to replace it with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fpgeek

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
After an absence from diving (part financial, part deployment), I've decided to dust off the gear and dive again. My regulator concerns me, though. It's a Dacor Pacer with matching gauges and a Beauchat octopus/"safe second". Since Dacor is closed and Beauchat seems unrepresented in CONUS, is it time to dump them?

If it is time to replace them, what regulator (and I'm buying used due to economics) should I consider? US Divers and Scubapro seem natural choices, though I'm open to other makes. For now, most diving will be in and around Michigan. Ease of repair is a plus since I may have to send it out for service (I can't count on my local shop to be there or be trustworthy).

Sherwood rebuild kits are relatively cheap and techs usually call them simplistic and easy to rebuild and service.
That could be another option if you find a good used set.

To prevent any issues, find out what your lds sells and then get something of that brand. Used is perfectly fine. Just keep in mind that servicing can cost up to 100 so negotiate if you buy used.

weitodive:6273351:
To prevent any issues, find out what your lds sells and then get something of that brand. Used is perfectly fine. Just keep in mind that servicing can cost up to 100 so negotiate if you buy used.

Several online dealers service the regs they sell if you send them back to them. Shipping a reg UPS or FEDEX is not expensive and will only add a few more days without the reg. Dont limit yourself to what your LDS sells, get what you want.

We have two local shops (Aqualung and Scubapro respectively), but as I mentioned, I can't count on them being in business tomorrow nor can I particularly trust them.

---------- Post added at 01:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 AM ----------

Check out the price on a HOG D1 reg. Youll be shocked.

Interesting pick. How long have they been around? Any problems with getting parts?

Since Dacor is closed and Beauchat seems unrepresented in CONUS, is it time to dump them?

Parts for the Pacer are now available through Trident. Most any dive shop can get the parts to rebuild your reg if they feel up to it. The Pacers were built like tanks.

A perennial great deal on used regulators would be a scubapro MK10 1st stage and a 109 (converted to balanced adjustable) 2nd stage. Sometimes you'll see D300 2nd stages at a reasonable price (i.e $50-60) and those are among the best performing 2nd stages of all time at any price.

G250s tend to bring a premium price used, and the 109 converted to balanced is essentially a G250 in a bullet proof metal case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom