Cold water experience with Atomic B2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CdnWrkr

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm planning to upgrade my regs and have narrowed my selection to the Atomic B2 or ScubaPro MK17/G250V. I like that the B2 can switch between air and nitrox without additional cleaning. Would like to hear from users of this reg if the environmental seal kit is really required to dive 35-40 degree waters I'll experience at Tobermory. Does sealing the reg cause any headaches?

I have an Atomic B2 and love it! Have not had any problems, but the coldest I have dove in North Carolina is 43 degree water. Still some pretty cold water, but not quite what you're working with up North!

I have a B2... as well as a pair of ST1's. I've never had them in water below ~ 46 degrees F. The environmental seal is not going to cause you any problems or headaches. In fact it's there to save you some. The only thing you're gonna notice is that servicing is going to cost you a bit more.

Happy diving,
K

Nitrox not an issue less than 40%. I have one of each, I prefer the atomic, but both are good regs. I think they are both sealed units. Yes need sealed for cold water. Both are enviornmently sealed as a function of manufacture design, not something you do to them. Atomic service is every 2 years SP every year and no longer free parts for SP. See if you can try each one before buying.

My buddy and I live 30 minutes from Lake Simcoe and dive it every couple of weeks from May-Oct. Mostly on the J.C. Morrison wreck.

I have an Atomic Z2 which I have taken to 42 without sealing! No problems whatsoever. Its a damn good reg.

I'm planning to upgrade my regs and have narrowed my selection to the Atomic B2 or ScubaPro MK17/G250V. I like that the B2 can switch between air and nitrox without additional cleaning. Would like to hear from users of this reg if the environmental seal kit is really required to dive 35-40 degree waters I'll experience at Tobermory. Does sealing the reg cause any headaches?

If you do not have any other sealed regs like Flathead VI, Apeks etc. go with the MK17/G250V. This is along with Apekses is the mostly widespread cold water reg locally.

Atomic is not anywhere the best cold water reg just like SP MK25.

All regs that I have seen sold can be used with both air and nitrox. I do not know who mislead you but I can guess knowing who sells Atomics here.
If you have a lot of throwaway money you can seal Atomic - it was about $50 in crystalube only last time I asked the technician.

Performance wise I was never able to see the difference between Atomics, Apekses and SPs. One person I dive in the pool with have put his Atomics on sale and switched to Apekses as Atomics were too costly for what they do.

Another reg I would recommend you to look at is Apeks XTX50/DS4,DST. PM me if interested I can send you the name of my LDS which sells them at a good price.
They sell all of those regs SP, Apeks and Atomics. I'm not getting any interest from them :)

What regs do you currently have anyways?

---------- Post added April 10th, 2012 at 11:45 PM ----------

The only thing you're gonna notice is that servicing is going to cost you a bit more.
Twice as much here :)

Last edited:
Atomics do not need as much servicing as other regs. They need to be serviced once every two years if I remember correctly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom