Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Cold water experience with Atomic B2?

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199

Cold water experience with Atomic B2?

I'm planning to upgrade my regs and have narrowed my selection to the Atomic B2 or ScubaPro MK17/G250V. I like that the B2 can switch between air and nitrox without additional cleaning. Would like to hear from users of this reg if the environmental seal kit is really required to dive 35-40 degree waters I'll experience at Tobermory. Does sealing the reg cause any headaches?

Registered

Has a REALLY warm wetsuit.....
    ....No Pee Smell

Dives
    200 - 499
    I have an Atomic B2 and love it! Have not had any problems, but the coldest I have dove in North Carolina is 43 degree water. Still some pretty cold water, but not quite what you're working with up North!
    http://www.HeatedWetsuits.Com - The Warmest Scuba Diving Suits in the World

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    I have a B2... as well as a pair of ST1's. I've never had them in water below ~ 46 degrees F. The environmental seal is not going to cause you any problems or headaches. In fact it's there to save you some. The only thing you're gonna notice is that servicing is going to cost you a bit more.

Happy diving,
    K
    I've never taken a GUE or UTD class. I guess I'm just DIRong.

Registered

Live free and Dive!

Dives
    200 - 499
    Nitrox not an issue less than 40%. I have one of each, I prefer the atomic, but both are good regs. I think they are both sealed units. Yes need sealed for cold water. Both are enviornmently sealed as a function of manufacture design, not something you do to them. Atomic service is every 2 years SP every year and no longer free parts for SP. See if you can try each one before buying.

Solo Diver

Get off the track here comes
    Shack TML # 23.

Dives
    100 - 199
    CdnWrkr have you dove Simco?

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    My buddy and I live 30 minutes from Lake Simcoe and dive it every couple of weeks from May-Oct. Mostly on the J.C. Morrison wreck.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    I have an Atomic Z2 which I have taken to 42 without sealing! No problems whatsoever. Its a damn good reg.
    [countdown=05/16/2014 05:30 am]Count down: Bonaire[/countdown]

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Quote Originally Posted by CdnWrkr View Post
    I'm planning to upgrade my regs and have narrowed my selection to the Atomic B2 or ScubaPro MK17/G250V. I like that the B2 can switch between air and nitrox without additional cleaning. Would like to hear from users of this reg if the environmental seal kit is really required to dive 35-40 degree waters I'll experience at Tobermory. Does sealing the reg cause any headaches?
    If you do not have any other sealed regs like Flathead VI, Apeks etc. go with the MK17/G250V. This is along with Apekses is the mostly widespread cold water reg locally.

Atomic is not anywhere the best cold water reg just like SP MK25.

All regs that I have seen sold can be used with both air and nitrox. I do not know who mislead you but I can guess knowing who sells Atomics here.
    If you have a lot of throwaway money you can seal Atomic - it was about $50 in crystalube only last time I asked the technician.

Performance wise I was never able to see the difference between Atomics, Apekses and SPs. One person I dive in the pool with have put his Atomics on sale and switched to Apekses as Atomics were too costly for what they do.

Another reg I would recommend you to look at is Apeks XTX50/DS4,DST. PM me if interested I can send you the name of my LDS which sells them at a good price.
    They sell all of those regs SP, Apeks and Atomics. I'm not getting any interest from them

What regs do you currently have anyways?

---------- Post added April 10th, 2012 at 11:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Captain12Pk View Post
    The only thing you're gonna notice is that servicing is going to cost you a bit more.
    Twice as much here
    Last edited by elan; April 11th, 2012 at 01:40 PM.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    Atomics do not need as much servicing as other regs. They need to be serviced once every two years if I remember correctly.
    [countdown=05/16/2014 05:30 am]Count down: Bonaire[/countdown]

Divemaster
    Badge

You did what with whom ?

Dives
    I just don't log dives
    Quote Originally Posted by CAPTAIN SINBAD View Post
    Atomics do not need as much servicing as other regs. They need to be serviced once every two years if I remember correctly.
    recommended service interval for Atomic Regulator is 2 years or 300 Dives, whatever occurs first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast