Should I buy a regulator, or just rent??? Need advice...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GEORGEP

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm newly certified (open water in Feb). I have most of the equipment now, and just got a Geo 2 computer. I'm pondering getting the reg set as I'll probably dive on on or two trips per year (living in Canada I go south!). For the 6-8 dives a year, is it worth spending the $$$, or should the wife and I just rent? Not likely we will do the cold water stuff up here ( wife won't for sure but I could maybe...) I think it's about $50-$60 to do a yearly maintenance... I'm looking at $450+ for a set... Advice??

How hooked are you by diving? If you are just doing one or two dive trips a year, and are absolutely sure you will never dive locally or more frequently, renting might be smart from a "financial perspective".

With that disclaimer out of the way.... if you are hooked... buy your own regulator(s). Most of us have found that owning all of our own equipment "inspires" us to dive more often. My regulators (now expanded to 9 sets) "call" to me from the closet when they have not been wet in awhile.

The other advantage to owning your own set is you know its "history" (you know it has not been abused, and know when it was last serviced).

Best wishes.

I would rent for a few trips until you get sick enough of rental gear that you'll be ready to buy something. With 6-8 dives/year, it will almost never make financial sense to buy. But you might enjoy diving more if you have a regulator that you like.

if you decide to pick up a set of regs, perhaps you can test a few out from your local dive shop before buying a set in the pool or demo days. Can't hurt to speak to the regulator service person to get some feedback from them too...

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Zero in on what you want then look for deals and ask your shop when they will have a sale on the set you want. Less than 10 dives a year does not sound like it will be reasonable to buy a set. Unless you are like me and have an aversion to even use bowling shoe rentals.:)

Many shops run deals compains over winter. Wait until next winter , you should understand by that time whether you want to buy. If you so maintenance at an LDS 50-60 dollars might be too optimistic

I dive a bit more than you do, and have happily rented for over ten years. I suspect I have not yet spent in rentals (over ten years) what it would have cost me to buy my own reg and then keep it serviced. I haven't had any problems with rental equipment and especially appreciate never having to lug it around with me when I travel. But that's me. Many here feel very differently. I think the bottom line is whatever helps you enjoy your diving the most. :)

I say reg first. It is the most non-subjective piece of tear you'll own. It's efficiency of breathing is easily measured in bench tests. Besides, people vomit through rental regs.

I agree with halocline that financially it makes more sense to rent. If I had to rent something I don't mind renting a regulator, the rentals should work fine and if you get one that does not breathe right they'll exchange it for you. I would just take a spray bottle and either some isopropol alcohol or Listerine mouthwash and sterilize the mouthpiece and the inside of 2nd stage, without pressing the purge button.

Based on the rental crap I saw come out of an Atlanta dive shop last weekend I say buy once you figure what you want or can afford.

Sent from my DROID X2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom