Choices for regs in certain price range

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ofl0926

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey what's up guys. I will be purchasing my regs soon. Probably at the end of this week. Just wanted go know for the budget I have I am getting the best. My budget 450-500ish. The reg I am most looking at is the Hollis 212. I have spoken to a few place anx they say they are great. Other say not worth it. The only other reg I am still considering is the apeks xtx50. Everyone says they great regs. I have also read that you can the ds4 first stage and it will be cheaper. I just haven't been able to find that setup.
Last and final opinions on these two setups before I make my purchase. Thank you so much for your time and patience!!! :)

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

IMO the best bang for the buck these days is the Apeks AT20, you can usual find it around 300$ for the first (US4) and second stage (AT20), it's a balanced first and second (unusual in this price point).

I like this reg because it's Simple to upgrade to a DS4 down the road if needed, the only downside it that it's only available in Yoke Configuration.

I was recommended that reg by someone who doesn't like adjustable regs. He told me that adjustable regs are good but not necessary

Are you only considering new regs?

You can probably find really nice used regs for that price.

Scubapro MK25 & S600 on ebay for much lower than that.
I've actually seen the Hollis set for around $200 on ebay and craigslist.

I've bought new before.. its not worth the free parts for life..

If the price is right, I will definitely get a used set.

Are you talking a complete set or just the first stage, second stage, and hose for that price? Cause I can set you up with a complete set including 1st stage, both seconds (primary and octo -both balanced and adjustable high performance), hoses, and SPG and stay around the high side of your budget. 1st stage is sealed and suitable for cold water and the same feature makes it great for salt or silty conditions. If you want details PM me. Regs would be new by the way. I have been diving the same make regs for three years and had them under the ice, in salt water, and to 165 feet. And yes they are HOG's. Just to be up front about it.

I keep hearing about hog but how do they compare to Hollis? Features, quality?

Features are similar. balanced, adjustable, the HOG D -1 and the Hollis DC1 are of similar design with a swivel turret and 5th port. Quality is second to none, IMO, and I said that before I started selling them. The second stages are high performance and a proven design with some of HOG's own special tweaking of that design. They breathe great and are good enough that I have been replacing all 10 of my main and stage regs with them.

I have used Hollis DC2 212 and HOG. In term of performance, nothing is crap today. You really cant tell the difference. So I am going to give your quality of construction comparison here. 1st stage wise, they are similar, both are very high quality. 2nd stage, I think HOG is far ahead of Hollis. While both have plastic casing, HOG's feel heavier more solid. Hollis is plastic on everything else. The whole thing feels light weight and hollow. HOG uses quiet a lot of metal especially for the critical components. The whole thing feels solid and substantial. At its price, it is really the best bang for the buck.

While I have no performance issue with HOG, I do have logistic issues. 1) dealer's network/support isn't widely available depending on your location. 2) DIN only.

I think for a new diver, 1st reg, having a dive shop that can work on the reg, and Yoke is really a better option.

IF that new diver is using yoke tanks. All the tanks I bought new had convertible valves and I ended up spending over 150 bucks converting yoke regs to DIN. An adapter is $35 and can be swapped out easily. And the OP is in Florida. No service issues there. And I accept regs by mail for service. Getting service is often a matter of the tech wanting to do it. Not necessarily because they can't. Some shops don't like to do regs they do not sell. Others recognize the value in providing a service and Chris has more than once provided the necessary info to techs who knew what they were doing. I know of one in the UK where there was no dealer but a tech willing to fix a HOG owners reg. He got the info he needed.
Saying yoke is better for new divers than DIN is like saying a jacket BC is better for them than a plate and wing. That myth has been shot down more than once.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom