Needing some input, please--MC9? HOG? Other? :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hucks_Fins

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Everyone, thanks for taking the time to pop in here and hopefully respond :) Im currently in the market to purchase my own reg!! I dive primarily in the North Atlantic from April-Nov (this will be bumped to year round once I con my hubby into buying me a drysuit :wink:) As of right now Im a renter, which is fine, but I dive frequetly and would rather put that money toward my own stuff. My LDS keeps there rentals clean an I disinfect them 6 ways to Sunday but I like to know that Im the only one slobbering on it :) ANYWAY...I use a pony and already have a idea on a reg for that, Im pretty sure I know which octo Im going for (for shallow divs, or travel etc). Right now Im on the fence about a primary reg. I have been doing alot of research and I like the Cressi MC9. I was also flirting w/ the idea of the MC9-SC since its sealed. Does anyone have any experience w/ these? Im open to suggestions. I have seen alot of people recomending HOG regs but Ive never used a DIN and im not that knowledgeable w/ them. A MAJOR factor is mouth comfort. Much to my dentists & LDS chagrin I am a habitual teeth grinder/clencher both above and below water. I have been known to gnaw through mouthpieces on rental equipment :blinking:. My price range maxes out at $450 but if I can stay inder $350-400 that would be great. Like I said, any suggestions would be great. Also reliable online stores (I deal w/ Leisurepro and they dont carry all brands) would br great. Feel free to PM me on here also. Thanks everyone for the help! I look foward to hearing from you!

Last edited:
Input given , Now what are we talking about here

Cheers
Michael

Cressi Makes some Nice stuff, and you can't go Wrong with the MC9-SC, you will want to consider the usual suspects as well ( Apeks, Aqualung, Scubapro)

A sealed regulator is not a bad idea when dealing with salt water, and even more important dealing with cold water.

as for mouthpieces you might want to look into Seacure molded mouthpiece this could help with your grinding otherwise maybe a Full Face Mask (FFM) is worth consideration.

Sorry, my internet is possessed and posted on its own :acclaim:

Kunundrum, I have looked into other brands. Are theyre any specific regs by those brands that you would recomend? Ive used Oceanic and Mares as rentals so Im firmiliar w/ them. Im def going to look into the Seacure mouth pieces!

Huck _Fins
I am sorry for the above post I found it to be funny that there was nothing in your post . You have came to the right place to gather information about anything to do with diving . I use both the HOG and my Aqua Lung Titan I like the mouth peice on the Titan better than the HOG. MY thought is to make sure you buy what you can get serviced close to where you are.

Cheers
Michael

Shortdivemedic, its all good! Im glad you got a laugh :) my LDS can service anything. The HOG looks good with exception of only being DIN. Although i believe they did just start coming out w/ an adaptor. I would eventually like to switch to DIN but not right away.

Hucks_Fins
In KSA you have to get the laughs where you can you know. I am new to the HOG world and it seems OK ,but I will be changing the mouthpeice out soon. I have some concerns for using the adapters as I have heard they like to become permanet and you are using 2 O rings. I think that most of the regulators on the market are good and it becomes a personal choice. The good thing is no matter what you buy you can replace the mouth peice at a resonable cost until you find one that fits your mouth (buy several then). I started with the Titan and came up on a great deal for the HOG and wanted something that was made for DIN (Oman diving) and was good for cold water . I have plans for diving in Iceland next year , so the reason to buy a new dri suit also. There is a plan deep in the madness I tell my GF that all the time. So think long term and keep your eyes open for deals that are to good to pass up.

Cheers
Michael

Back
Top Bottom