Why no titanium regulator for tec diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eelnoraa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I know the official arguement is Ti is not safe with high percentage of O2, but that is for deco gas only. For back guess, O2 usually less than 21% anyway, so why not Ti reg? It seems the lighter weight and ease of maintainance can be advangtage if nothing else.

yet another thing to have to keep track of.... k.i.s.s.

P.S. - weight is insignificant (that is marketing hype IMHO), and what significant maintenance issue are you recognizing with TI?

yet another thing to have to keep track of.... k.i.s.s.

P.S. - weight is insignificant (that is marketing hype IMHO), and what significant maintenance issue are you recognizing with TI?

Weight difference is a bit less than 1lb per 1st stage, Atomic brass vs Ti first stages. It may not sound like a lot, but if you put them in your hand, it feels very noticeable. Now, weight is what we need, so I am not complaining brass. With double tho, 2lb less weight on top can make a noticeable difference.

As for maintanance, I am mainly referring to cleaning and rinsing after dives. I have seen neglected brass vs neglected Ti. I know most tech diver take good care of their gears, but isn't it one less thing to worry about?

So let me rephase my question. Cost aside, why not Titanium? I agree about the logistic part, one less thinng to keep track of. But Ti and brass look different enough (at least for the Atomic), I highly doubt anyone would accidently put a Ti reg onto a deco bottle just by the look of it.

So let me rephase my question. Cost aside, why not Titanium?

Unless you're getting your gear for free, you cannot say "cost aside..."

Now, I didn't get into tec diving to save money but the price difference can buy you another reg set.

Eh, plenty of divers wouldn't blink at the cost difference between a $1200 Ti reg and a $900 SS reg, or even between a Ti reg and a $700 brass/exotics reg like the M1. Cost aside, then, the only reason would be higher % O2 compatability and as already noted that's not an issue for back gas. Since there's no real difference between the corrosion resistance of Ti and SS, it has to come down to whether you care about ~2lbs of negative buoyancy right behind your head. I don't, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone did.

Aside from people saying it's a high cost gimmick, though, I've never heard anyone say that Ti regs are like split fins and will result in one's swift and certain demise. Is "Ti = DEATH" something in tech that I've just managed to miss?

Simple ... when Davy Jones comes a calling and screws over your high O2 deco gas brass first stage and for what ever reason completing your deco obligation is not going to happen on your back gas. Your course of action is to take your spiffy Ti reg from your back gas and put it on your high O2 deco bottle. Davy Jones has already screwed with things, most tech divers would prefer not to give him another opportunity by having to use the Ti reg.

Could it be that while there is a sucker born every minute, few of them find their way into technical diving?

No, really, titanium is expensive and does not buy you a whole lot. Although I do have a titanium crow bar that I dearly love. It was made for me on a Russian research vessel. Gives new meaning to the idea of a wrecking bar.

As for maintanance, I am mainly referring to cleaning and rinsing after dives. I have seen neglected brass vs neglected Ti. I know most tech diver take good care of their gears, but isn't it one less thing to worry about?

somehow the words "lazy" and "technical diver" just isn't working for me...... TI = HYPE

I know the official arguement is Ti is not safe with high percentage of O2, but that is for deco gas only. For back guess, O2 usually less than 21% anyway, so why not Ti reg? It seems the lighter weight and ease of maintainance can be advangtage if nothing else.

I was told by the ScubaPro rep not to use Ti regs with O2 mixtures higher than 40

Hope this helps.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?m0dtfc

Back
Top Bottom