Us Divers SEA 4. keep using ? Upgrade Second Stage ? Change the entire set ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GDP

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello guys.

I´ve been using a Us Divers Sea4 regulator for almost 15 years. I usually dive once a year in a warmer liveaboard vacation.

The last service was about two years ago and i have no problems in finding the repair kit.

I used to have no problems with air consuming. But in the last two trips I have notice that my air is going away faster than the average. I really don´t know if its a problem with me or a problem with the regulator.

I read in other posts that SEA4 it´s a solid first stage (and it´s a heavy one too). But it seems that if it can keep the "working" pressure for the second stage, the only problem in decision to keep diving with this regulator it is the weight that it represents in the luggage.

In the same way, a brand new good balance second-stage will decrease my breathing effort for about 1 joule/litre (It´s seems that the old Sea4 require more than 2 joules/litre.). Is it true ?

So, the questions :

Quality of regulators sets determins hardly the air consume at recreational deeps ?

These number´s 2 or 1 joule/litre are big diference numbers ? Of couse it´s 100%, but it means anything in the end of the day (or in the end of tank ?).

In "recreational" deeps which is more important for breath performance : second or first stage ?

For recreational diving, if I connect a good second-stage (like Scubapro G250V) in the old SEA4 Fist Stage It will have the same effect in comparassion with buying a brand new MK11/G255 set ?

I really have to believe the problem is not regulator related. Proper weighting, streamining and overall dive technique are the major factors you can control. Unless you have really bad reg ( and the SEA isn't) changing regs will do nothing but lighten your wallet.

As to which detemines performance, it's 99% second stage (and 90 % of that is the quality of the tech who services it). Second stages "care" about 2 things, IP and flow. It matters not what brand or model of first stage delivers it and the vast majority of all first stages made over the last 30 years or so will deliver more gas at an acceptable flow rate and constant IP....balanced second stages don't ever require a constant IP.

Spend some time diving, not cash.

Thank you Herman. I will save some money !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom