What is the best user serviceable reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigred177

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking for a reg that is user serviceable. I am comfortable with doing the work myself and understand the responsibility. I have an APEKS setup on some doubles that I have worked on myself.

I am looking for a good rec. setup that is easy to work on and easy to obtain parts for. I know a lot of the online places sell rebuild kits but which is the most common and which regs can I find used for the best price while still performing well?

Thanks

Edit: Well found another thread with what I'm looking for too. I don't see a way to delete this thread so disregard.

I use Apeks and self service. Given you already own Apeks why don't you stick with that brand? Service kits are the same for all models and kits are fairly easy to obtain and given you already know how to service them seems like the way to go.

(not sure if Flight uses same kit though)

I was thinking about that but the initial purchase price hurts a little more than some other regs.

HOG is the only one that I know that makes parts easy to get.

HOG is the only one that I know that makes parts easy to get.

+1 on the HOG regs, they also offer courses on how to service their regs. I picked up a couple of old Scubapro regs on ebay that are also very easy to service but parts can be a problem.

I like Conshelfs. Parts are easy to get. Vintage Double Hose sells the overhaul kits.

The old Conshelfs were great workhorses, I've still got some kicking about, but they were middle of the line regulators back in the day and, IMHO, they just don't stand up, performance wise, to any current middle or top of the line regs. Good history of the conshelf here: Conshelf History

Scubapro MK5/10 and 109/156/G250: great performers, well documented, easy to service, and aftermarket parts available from VDH.

I don't know that the performance was that mediocre......the chart in your link for the XII looks pretty good to me.
Performance does drop off quickly below 275' with 400psi.

I think the Conshelf gets an undeserved rap for it's performance, maybe as a result of it's own success....familiarity breeds contempt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom