Apeks XTX200 VS. Zeagle Flathead LT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Immanuel Debeer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone i'm in the market for my first reg and have narrowed it down to these two:
Apeks XTX200 and the Zeagle Flathead LT. I would like to get some opinions from people who own any of these regs. Price wise i can get both for the same price so it's of no importance.

Some points i'd like to know more about:
• environmentally sealed vs no seal.
I'm not planning to do any ice diving anytime soon, so is there any need for a sealed first stage? I heard a seal can bring the performance down a little?
• The amount of HP and LP ports 4 -2 on Apeks 5 -2 on Zeagle, will i need that many? (i would like this reg to be an investment to last me some time)
• Servicing, i hear Apeks servicing in Australia is of the charts where as with zeagle you can do it your self?
• Looks, in your opinion which is the better looking reg? ( yes this is important :p )
• Weight? which one is heavier bulkier etc. I've only seen the Zeagle reg in "real life".
• Octopus: i like the idea of the Zeagle inflator hose/ocy combo. what do you guys think if this kinda setup? (i dive a Zeagle Stiletto).
• Ease of breathing? I'm sure they are both awesome at the job but are there any issues people have experienced in regards to free flowing or leaks
over time?
• Which one has the most comfortable mouth piece?
• Anything else i missed lol?

Fire away!

Thanks for your feedback and opinions!
Regards,
Manny.

Zeagle was the USA distributor for Apeks for 12 years and built the reputation and market for the product in the USA.
Both are excellent products and fully proven. The new Zeagle regulators are a result of Zeagle's experience with the engineering of the Apecs units. There are differences.
Both are environmentally sealed because they are diaphram designs. The spring and spring pad being exposed to the dive environment are no issue what so ever unless water could freeze to ice and restrict compression of the spring that you see when looking into the diaphram end of the regulator body. Weight nearly identical.
The environmental kit that results in the advertised "Overbalanced" regulator offers no real world performance improvement, but does add more weight and expence if those are good things.
Appearance is subjective. Not everyone will think one girly prettier than another.
Mouthpieces are replaceable and you might well find an aftermarket part that you like better than OEM on either regulator.
I do like and use a combo unit octo and inflator myself. I have for over 10 years and have found no issues with my selection.
New gear is expected to function properly and your job will be to properly maintain the gear in new working condition. You can purchase service kits for the Zeagle regulators here in the USA. I no longer sell Aqualung products. I don't know much about parts availability outside my geographical area.
Your Stiletto was a great choice by the way. My personal favorite.

Thanks for your reply Captain! What is the difference between the Flathead LT and the Flathead 7, is it only the seal on top and price? I'n your opinion does the top seal reduce performance? If so would you notice it?
So i'm thinking at this stage that the big selling point is gonna be the cost of anual servicing... I hear Apeks charges through the roof for basic parts where as with Zeagle you can DIY it. Out of interest, how much do you sell Zeagle for over there in the states (i'd like to compare it to my LDS) and do you know roughly how much Apeks servicing costs these days?

Thanks for your feedback!

Manny.

Thanks for your reply Captain! What is the difference between the Flathead LT and the Flathead 7, is it only the seal on top and price? I'n your opinion does the top seal reduce performance? If so would you notice it?
So i'm thinking at this stage that the big selling point is gonna be the cost of anual servicing... I hear Apeks charges through the roof for basic parts where as with Zeagle you can DIY it. Out of interest, how much do you sell Zeagle for over there in the states (i'd like to compare it to my LDS) and do you know roughly how much Apeks servicing costs these days?

Thanks for your feedback!

Manny.

The cold water FH7 also has a metal heat exchanger around the hose end where it enters the regulator 2nd stage. This adds weight but doesn't impact performance either way.
The environmental diaphram can be removed if you want to see if you can discern any difference in performance. I bet you cannot.
It is the added volume of air under the hydrostatic diaphram compressing that pushes on the transmitter and increases the intermediate supply pressure. A diver will not notice any difference in cracking effort as this comes from the 2nd stage adjustment. A higher supply pressure at depth will not be relevent to the diver unless you have need of extra air flow. Maybe you have could tell the diference at 200 feet or something crazy if you had multiple divers on 2nd stages.
The FH7 costs $652
The LT costs $609
The parts kits, 345-10001st stage $28.00
The 345-2000 2nd stage kits cost $16.50
Here in the USA service kits are provided to the origional owner at no charge when we service the regulator.
Gene

I don't know anything about the Zeagles, so I'll just speak to the Apeks;

I bought an XTX200 set as my first regs, and have been nothing but pleased;

- they breathe exceptionally well
- are very well made - solid materials and great workmanship.
- the hose routing on the first stage is simple and elegant. I often wonder at other regs with hoses jutting out all over the place.
- plenty of ports for single tank use, even if you dive dry and need an inflator hose
- I like the environmental sealing - not that I dive very cold water - just that I like the thought that no "crud" makes it into the reg :)
- very nice looking piece of kit as well.

I'm not a big fan of the "Safe Second" set-ups. Partly because a few divers I've met with those didn't realize how things were going to work if they needed to share air. But then I dive a long hose and bungeed back-up rig - so I admit to being quite biased in that direction :D . If you do go with a "Safe Second", please make sure you practice with it and that the inflator hose is long enough for you to comfortably dive/breathe it and that your primary LP hose is long enough for another diver to (relatively) comfortably breathe from it.

Henrik

I have used both Zeagle (non-Apeks) and Apeks. Zeagle makes a fine reg, but if the price is the same (or close) I would definitely take the Apeks.

I can say its a tough call. From the performance point of view they are both great regs. It gets down more to personal preference.
I have several flatheads VI which is internaly the same as 7. They are workhorses. I also have an FST with ATX and i works great.
The older ZX second did not have a nice mouthpiece Im not sure about the new Z

Where zeagle has an edge is the kits availability and price.
And also what is hard to beat is zeagles support. Within 24 hours I was getting a detailed reply to my inquiry from "the very" Jim Fox - Zeagle head engineer.

From all the second stages I have The most I like is SP250v then Apeks XTX then Apeks ATX then Zeagle ZX

If I was buying Apeks I would be looking at XTX50/DST on zeagle side DS-V you are not losing anything and saving money.

Both make fine regs and as others have said you will not go wrong with either. I own XTX200 (wel actually FSR 1st stage and 2x XTX50 2nds) and have been very happy had them for around 5 years. As Henrik said very nice hose routing for single tank diving. Good luck.

Oh, forgot to mention; The Apeks ComfoBite mouth piece is the best I've tried. For me it completely eliminates jaw tension and the feeling of having to "bite down" to keep the mouth piece in place. There are (or used to be ??) 2 versions: the original with a "bridge" connecting the 2 bite wings and a v.2 that have similar bite wings but no bridge.

Either works well, but I like the "bridge" version. Some people apparently gag when trying the "bridge" version, so that's something to keep in mind at least for the regulator you will be donating in case of an air share.

Henrik

Ditto on the ComfoBite, until I lost one of my near back teeth now, I have a gap and the ComfoBite tends to rotate through the gap. Went to a Seacure despite Seacure saying they cannot be used on Apeks, read another poster saying he used on Apeks without problem, tried one but it didn't seal properly, shame as it solved the "rotating" problem. Another poster suggested putting an O ring on the neck to help it seal better haven't tried that yet but will. Failing that will try a standard long bite mouthpiece. Sorry for the ramble.

So have you decided on which reg?

Back
Top Bottom